The music department will present a proposal to the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee on Thursday to boost undergraduate student interest in the subject by introducing four tracks through which a student can complete a major.The committee that reviewed Dean of Arts and Sciences Adam Jaffe's curricular proposals wrote in its Feb. 15 report that while the program should not be eliminated, the music department "needs to seriously rethink its program to rebalance efforts toward the undergraduate mission, to expand linkages to other disciplines in arts and sciences, and to increase the efficiency and integration of its two doctoral programs."

During its March 31 meeting, the music department approved a plan to restructure the major along tracks of performance, composition, history and cultural studies. While the proposal is now being reviewed by the Creative Arts Council, the UCC- the body which governs changes to the curriculum-will ultimately decide whether to approve the proposal.

"I am optimistic that the UCC will approve the new curriculum," music chair David Rakowski said.

If the UCC approves the proposal, depending on the track and consultation with an adviser, Rakowski said one could count a different number of outside courses toward a major in the subject.

According to the registrar's Web site, the music department cross-listed one course in the fall 2004 semester: "The Music of Jewish People," offered by the Near Eastern and Judaic Studies department. None were cross-listed this semester.

Currently, in addition to offering a major in music, a major in performance is open by audition only and requires two full-length solo recitals for degree completion. Rakowski said the performance major would change in title only to "performance track."

"It is, and will continue to be, the music major with the most required credits," Rakowski said.

After facing strong opposition regarding proposals to cut the graduate music program in composition and theory as well as the elimination or reduction of other areas of study, Jaffe announced that he would reconsider his curricular suggestions at a March 3 faculty meeting. But at the same time, he encouraged academic departments and programs to continue working toward improvement.

"I have discussed the [music] proposal in general terms with Professor Rakowski and other members of the department," Jaffe said, adding that he will reserve final judgment on the specifics of the proposal until it is presented to the UCC. "Overall, I think it represents a set of very positive steps in broadening the coverage and appeal of the music major."

Rakowski said that three semesters of theory and two or three semesters of history are the core requirements in each track. He said that depending on the route students choose to take, a broader range of electives are available and distinguish each of the tracks.

"For the first time, courses not in the music department, other than ones we cross-listed before, will be allowed to count as electives toward a music major," Rakowski said.

According to Rakowski, Prof. Jessie Ann Owens, chair of the department's curriculum committee and a former dean of arts and sciences, did "the lion's share of the work to restructure the major."

Owens said that the proposal makes sense for the department and that if approved, it will increase student enthusiasm for the major.

"I think it was made clear that the administration felt we needed more majors," Owens said. "The administration also thought we needed to have a more diverse curriculum, and this is also a way of doing that."

In an additional effort by the music department to restructure itself, Rakowski said that the Creative Arts Council approved a course in a cappella arrangement that he designed, as well as another course that will fulfill the University requirement in non-Western studies. Rakowski said both courses are scheduled to be offered next spring, pending Jaffe's approval.

The dean said the new courses are consistent with his efforts to "globalize the curriculum" and respond to students' requests for more music courses.

According to Rakowski, he and theater department chair Eric Hill are working on a preliminary structure for a combined major in theater and music. Rakowski said that while nothing is ready to be presented, this is part of the department's restructuring and "it looks like it could be an interesting major."

In another effort, Rakowski said Prof. Eric Chasalow (MUS), who has been on sabbatical to write music this academic year, is contemplating the creation of a program in digital arts that would spread across the School of Creative Arts.

"This is for the future," Rakowski said. "[Chasalow] had intimated ideas for such a major before, but the time is now ripe to follow through.