A trash can set ablaze in North Quad Saturday night heightened concerns over recent acts of arson in the predominantly first-year quad. The Administration said the fires are not accidents and an investigation is underway.The Cable trash can melted from the largest act of arson in a string of at least seven other incidents since March 10, according to North Quad Director Rusmir Music. The Waltham Fire Department used fans to dissipate the smoke after the building was evacuated. While no students required smoke inhalation treatment, some later found soot in their rooms.

The string of arson incidents started when a poster was burned outside a student's room in Scheffries Hall-the fire set off smoke alarms and the building was evacuated.

In a separate incident, a door-tag was set aflame in the same dormitory. Jonah Kaitz '07 said his room smelled like smoke and that he saw ashes outside in the hall.

A shoe was also found on fire in Cable by Franki Joyce '06, who was returning to his room when he smelled something "funny."

Joyce saw a shoe was on fire and doused it with a nearby fire extinguisher. Both Kaitz and Joyce filed a report with campus police, who are conducting their own investigation.

"It is kind of disconcerting that there have been three fires in this building," Joyce said. "I feel sort of unsafe."

Even before the Cable trash can fire, Music sent out a quad-wide e-mail warning students of the dangers of fire.

"I find it incredible this need to explain that arson is a criminal activity which will be investigated and severely sanctioned," Music wrote.

Music told his residents of three Seton Hall University students who died in a dormitory fire four years ago.

"This could have easily become a reality in North Quad in the past ten days or so," Music wrote in his e-mail, referring to the fire at the South Orange, N.J. campus.

Flames in cable

Upon hearing the alarm, students evacuated to the A/B lounge across from Cable, where it was discovered that a table had a burn mark. Posters around the area and at the entrance to Scheffries had also been burned.

"We think they are part of the same act," Music said.

Erik Potter '07, a resident of the first floor of Cable, said his room still smelled of smoke when he returned. Potter said other rooms and the bathroom had soot in them as well.

Music sent out another quad-wide e-mail, stressing how important it is for students to share any information they have on those responsible. He also said it is important for students to familiarize themselves with locations of fire extinguishers and exits.

"I had hoped that my previous e-mail would have underlined the severity of this situation and deterred future incidents," Music wrote.

Music also urged students again to talk to him or other Residence Life staff about any suspicions.

"We need everyone's help and coordination to find the person(s) responsible for these incidents," Music wrote. "As I stated before, you need to be the eyes and ears of the community."

A fire watch was instituted for the reminder of the evening into Sunday morning, as a police cruiser was stationed near North. Residence Life also conducted additional rounds and remained on duty until morning. Music then called a mandatory quad meeting, at which attendance would be taken, to discuss the incident.

North Quad mandatory meeting

The mandatory quad meeting was attended by approximately 300 residents last night and began with a talk from Associate Director for Campus Living Keyne Cahoon.

Cahoon, who is responsible for ensuring that residents feel safe on campus, said the fact that a Quad meeting is necessary proves "[safety] is not happening."

"Fires are scary things, especially when they're not accidents," Cahoon said. "As all of you know-and I'm sorry to have to be saying this-these things have been escalating. Yesterday a trash can was on fire. Something serious is happening in your community and we need your help to figure out who is doing this and why it's happening."

Students suggested surveillance cameras, a reward for apprehending the culprit and more information on other fires to scare residents into talking.

Cahoon said that students have the ability to prevent these incidents, and that they need to take actions themselves.

"No matter how miniscule, you need to tell us," Cahoon said. "You need to start thinking about how it could feel if we had to call your parents and say 'something has happened to your child.'"

Director of Public Safety Ed Callahan also mentioned the importance of student assistance in the investigation.

"I find it very hard to believe no one in this room knows what is going on," Callahan said. "I ask you to call me, my staff, anyone from Residence Life and Admissions, even if it's anonymously. We don't care if it can lead us to the person."

Some residents expressed concerns over the possible punishment.

Callahan said the Waltham Police have a copy of filed reports, though it is likely the matter will be held strictly within the University.

"We are competent and have experience," Callahan said. "If we have to reach out to the [Waltham] police, we will."

But Waltham Police took evidence at the scene of the fire, including the contents of the charred trash can.

"That matter is still under investigation and it is our policy to not discuss issues until the case is closed," Detective Tim King said. "The fire department and the police department are working in conjunction on [the case with the University] though."

Cahoon said the final outcome will not be as important as putting a stop to the fires.

"It's not in my hands," Cahoon said. "I am inferring this was bad and intentional because no one has given me evidence to think otherwise."

Students share their concerns

Several students voiced concerns about their safety at the meeting.

"I think it's not safe that the only way out of the building is the stairs past the fire," one Cable resident said. "Why is that [the case], because I think it is very dangerous."

Callahan fielded most of these questions.

"I'm very concerned that people raised their hands and said they were scared," Callahan said during the meeting. "I'm scared also right now on your behalf. You've been put on a fire watch from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. to make sure there are no additional concerns or fires."

Music believes it is safe to assume a fire occurring in both stairwells is highly unlikely. He also said windows are available as exits if the situation is desperate.

"We are checking on what the codes specifically are and [we would like to remind students that] fire departments have ladders to reach into windows," Cahoon said.

Another Cable resident said the Fire Department did not respond quickly enough.

"We were outside and there was no truck," the resident said.

Callahan replied that if an alarm is set off in a residence hall, it automatically goes to the Fire Department.

Residents also asked about safety codes and whether Brandeis met the correct standards.

"All of our buildings meet codes," Cahoon said. "We recognize the desire to continue to enhance all safety measures, such as sprinkler systems and we are in the process of doing so."

Music also acknowledged there are sprinkler systems in Cable hallways as well as other North buildings. He said there are fire extinguishers on every floor and CAs often check to make sure they are operational.

Students ask for more answers

During the meeting, some students asked how the Administration knew the culprit was a North resident.

Callahan stated he was almost positive it was someone from North and Music reasoned why they did not believe it could have been an outside person.

"If this is not a person from North, it's likely a guest," Music said. "The times are random and it's spread out, so it's very unlikely it is an outside person."

When one resident persisted that they were accusing all of North, Callahan responded that nothing was certain and the meeting was intended to simply ask all of North for their help.

"I don't think anyone has accused anyone in this room," Callahan said. "We had you meet here to obtain information from you and to promote public safety."

One student voiced her opinions in his online away messages.

"Please don't set things on fire," Juliana Marcus' '07 away message read. "Please don't burn signs and garbage cans and sneakers. Please don't rip down signs. Please don't smoke inside buildings. Please don't throw couches off the porches. Please don't write on the walls and doors and please don't break the windows. Please don't destroy my home."

Some also said they wanted more information on any leads administrators had or questions that were left unanswered.

"It made me angry to see the way the meeting was handled," Marcus said. "I felt more concerned and worried, not at ease afterwards, partially because of the way the questions were fielded."

Although some students left annoyed, Cahoon insists the matter was of the utmost importance.

"We wouldn't be having these meetings or taking attendance if we thought this was child's play," Cahoon said.

Residence Life and Public Safety promised to deal with concerns brought up at the meeting in addition to finding the party responsible for the fires.

"[The precautions] will continue until we know who did it, even if it takes until the end of the year," Callahan said. "But we think and hope it won't.