Union Secretary Danny Silverman reversed and reinstated a controversial election rule last week, according to Jenny Feinberg '07.Feinberg, currently the chair of the Project Brandeis University Spirit committee, was disqualified from the race for Class of 2007 senator last semester for violating that regulation-Article VI, Section 2 of the elections rules.

Feinberg placed a link in her AOL Instant Messenger profile to the UNet election, violating the restriction on direct links to the voting site.

Last week, Feinberg sent an e-mail to Silverman proposing an amendment this rule.

Upon hearing her recommendation, Silverman agreed to change the rule, according to Feinberg.

Feinberg said she decided to run for Class of 2007 senator again this semester after hearing this response. Mark Samburg '07 resigned from that position to run for Senator at Large.

Feinberg said she is now upset that Silverman changed the rule back.

"Candidates may not link directly to the UNet election system. Candidates may only link to the Student Union elections page (http://union.brandeis.edu/elections/) or a sub-section of that site," Section 2 now reads. "Information on how to correctly link to the Elections page will be e-mailed to candidates."

Silverman did not return repeated calls for comment.

While Feinberg said she understands the reasoning behind the rules, she thinks the current voting procedures, which entail visiting other pages before arriving at the ballot, do not ensure all voters will view each candidates' statement.

"The current election rules insist that prospective voters must enter the Union web site (union.brandeis.edu) prior to logging into the UNet voting system," Feinberg wrote in a recent e-mail to Silverman. "In doing so, (election commissioners conveyed) that it provides every candidate an equal opportunity to have their statement and endorsements read before the voter can go to the ballot to vote."

Once a voter enters the Union web site, there is a link for the UNet ballot system at the top of the page, according to Feinberg.

"Thus, voters could still enter the UNet system without viewing candidate's statements or endorsements," Feinberg said.

Feinberg also said these election procedures do not to help boost voting participation.

"Students have to go through so much just to vote and they don't want to have to go through that. I want to make voting as easy as possible," Feinberg said.

Despite the rule's reinstatement, Feinberg has decided to stay in the race.

"I'm [not going to] risk my own chance being senator because of him," Feinberg said. "I don't know what he has against me and I'm [still] going to run.