Brandeis' first midyear class of 76 students arrived on campus last Sunday for Orientation. While the midyears have only been here for a short while, many of them feel welcome and ready to start college. According to Dean of Students and Enrollment Deena Whitfield, the midyear class is made up of 40 females and 36 males.

Whitfield said 17 percent - about 13 midyears - are students of color and 64 percent - about 49 midyears - are receiving some financial aid. There are also two international students.

Whitfield did not provide the average SAT score and GPA for the midyear class, but said the effect on enrollment figures was "negligible."

Whitfield said midyears have the same requirements as all Brandeis students and were assigned advisers using the same process that was used in the fall.

Midyears are expected to complete their education within seven semesters, one less than first-years who arrived in the fall.

Whitfield could not be reached for further comment on the midyear class.

Many other colleges and universities enroll midyear classes - like Brown University and Wheaton College.

Housing on Campus

Residence Life was able to house all 76 midyears, most of whom say they are content with their accommodations.

According to a housing assignment list given to orientation leaders, 18 midyears live in Massell Quad, 11 in North Quad, 40 in East Quad and seven in the Castle - 59 midyears are rooming with other midyears.

Director of Residence Life Maggie Balch said she told midyears they would either live with a midyear of be in close proximity to one.

"You may be living with a sophomore, but there will be three other midyears around you," Balch said.

Michael Cohen '07 said, "everyone is really welcoming on my floor."

Residence Life asked some students if they would be willing to move rooms or dorms to house midyears together.

Balch said that she realizes moving is not easy and that she appreciates people were willing to move. [See Move Out Rules Trigger Student Complaints, page 1.]

Dean of Student Life Rick Sawyer said some midyears were placed in unusual places, like the basements of Shapiro and Gordon Halls.

Lachen T. Chernyha '07 shares an apartment in Gordon basement with three other females. The basement apartment is not normally used for housing.

"It's going really well," Chernyha said. "We have our own bathroom. We get along well. We have two bedrooms. I like it a lot. It's comfortable. The rooms are nice."

Keti Sekuj '07 said she was upset when she was placed with two friends in the Castle.

"I spoke to people in Residence Life," Sekuj said. "I told them it was wrong to put me with two people who were friends. It's just hard and it didn't work at first."

But Sekuj said now everything is fine and she is getting along with her roommates.

Midyear orientation

Many midyears said they enjoyed orientation and it made them feel comfortable while acclimating to Brandeis.

Assistant Director of Student Activities Mike McKenna said he has been working with Residence Life and the Administration on midyear orientation for a year.

In June, McKenna said around 55 midyears came to Brandeis for a 3-day orientation.

"This geared them on getting to know each other while they were away from Brandeis," McKenna said. "We did a lot of academic introduction as well. This midyear orientation was part two."

Highlights of midyear orientation included going to the Hard Rock Cafe, seeing a theatrical production of "Sheer Madness" and walking around Boston.

David Ziff '07, who lives in East, said, "Orientation made it apparent how friendly the school is."

Midyears enjoyed going to Boston.

"It was cool because we got to go to Boston," Jefferson S. Arak '07 of Reitman said.

But Arak also thought Orientation kept him too busy.

"I had a problem with how they did not give us time to do things we need to do before classes, but they had a lot of cool stuff planned." Arak said.

Sekuj said a lot of things were redundant."We would meet with an adviser, a Roosevelt fellow and the dean. But at least I am really clear on everything."

Midyears respond to community

Midyears say they feel accepted at Brandeis and do not feel excluded as being part of the midyear class.

Sawyer is not surprised that midyears say Brandeis has been very accepting.

"We were never worried about the welcome," Sawyer said. "We were never worried about how our existing students would welcome the midyears. That was never a worry for us and it turns out we were justified in not having those worries."

Spreiser said she was shocked from the openness and acceptance on campus.

"Brandeis has this whole history of not being exclusive and I totally dig that," Spreiser said. "It's really great."

Sawyer said that much of the mid-year class had an exciting first semester that was "personally strengthening."

Spreiser was a Guest Service Representative at Target. She said that when she arrived at Brandeis, she felt more experienced than other people who first move into college.

"There were no tears except for lugging up my luggage. Having the six month reprieve allows me to focus on my academics."

Spreiser said she would have liked to take some college courses too, but she was under the assumption Brandeis did not allow it.

"I didn't take school because I thought the credit wouldn't be worth anything."

Sekuj said she was also eager to start at Brandeis and felt more prepared for college after watching her friends leave home.

"Now when my time came, I was just ready for it and I knew what to expect."

But students admit some obstacles lie ahead.

"It's going to be a challenge meeting new people and adjusting to the school," Andrea Arter '07 said.

That sentiment is common.

"Acclimating myself to a new campus is much different than high school," Scott Sheps '07 said. "I am trying to do that."