This week, the newly elected members of the Student Union Executive Board should have taken office, replacing the current officers and acclimating to their positions before the next academic year. This transition was delayed, however, pending the outcome of a Union Judiciary (UJ) case decided last night, which disputed the first round on the basis that students studying abroad were unable to vote.Last week, Union President Ben Brandzel '03 filed a UJ case on behalf of David Singer '04, a student studying abroad who was unable to vote in the online elections. Arguably, his vote could have changed the outcome of the presidential election, in which Joshua Brandfon '05 defeated Josh Sugarman '05 by a single vote. Principle dictates that Brandeis undergraduates studying abroad should be able to vote; however, the assertion that round one elections should be rendered illegitimate is in poor taste. Additionally, it was inappropriate for Brandzel - still in office as Union President, the head of the executive branch - to be an advocate in a case that effectively extends his term.

More crucial than Singer's right to vote from abroad is an easy transition to the incoming student representatives while there is still time to train them properly. A rerun of the already-encumbered first round of elections would have further hampered the transition from this administration to the next. Our new representatives will benefit from as great a period of transition as they can get, as well as from the expertise of their predecessors, many of whom are about to graduate.

The current senate has fulfilled the duties of the term for which they were elected; the stress of this extension of the current administration is evident in Union Secretary Ana Yoselin Bugallo's '03 resignation. The Union Charter mandates that the newly elected Union Senate hold two meetings before the end of the semester. With the elections in dispute, the senate may be forced to meet during finals week.

The new administration will have to be an advocate for students in this time of financial crisis. Indeed, Brandzel's outspoken advocacy is a commendable leadership quality that led to his election as Union president. Throughout the year, he has often been an advocate for many causes. Although worthwhile, social causes, such as the Oxfam Click Drive and hosting the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness conference, have overshadowed his on-campus concerns. His passion for outside concerns is laudable, but should not come at the cost of failing to attend senate meetings, where topics directly affecting the Brandeis community, such as last semester's club chartering changes, are discussed. To be an apt representative of the community, it is necessary to focus locally. We hope the next president reprioritizes concerns within our own community.

The UJ's decision, while inappropriately denying study abroad students a vote, at the very least does not negate the first round of elections. Taken to the extreme, retroactive standards could even call into question the legitimacy of current representatives. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and setting a clear standard for future elections is the best option for all concerned: Even if Sugarman won on re-election, the legitimacy of his presidency would never have been established. An amendment to the Union Charter defining a Union member - someone able to vote - is necessary to rectify current ambiguities.

It is time to inaugurate the new administration headed by President-elect Brandfon and stop over-scrutinizing the first round. Brandfon's financial capability's are evident in his time as treasurer, pertinent given the pending financial review and the Union's historically fuzzy accounting. His attentiveness and dedication will be valuable throughout the next year, and we know he will strive to continue to improve Brandeis' academic and social atmosphere.