Unfettered discussion is the very foundation of American democracy. This value demands that dissenting opinions always be tolerated --not just when convenient.Now that the war has begun, it is regretful that some accuse anti-war protesters of being unpatriotic. In response, many Bush administration supporters have been accused of blind patriotism. These charges have inhibited both camps from intelligent discourse about serious issues.

While some people may be offended by certain opinions, free expression is still protected by the Constitution. Views should not be dubbed "un-American" just because they are disagreeable. An individual who does not support American troops overseas and who burns the American flag is no less American than one who is draped in it. An American is not necessarily a blind patriot, but a person who contributes to the free flow of ideas.
Some argue we must support our troops because they are risking their lives to protect the liberties all Americans enjoy. Others argue that freedom of speech obviously is included within this package. The ability for each person to hold different views is an important component of American life. Let us not forget what has happened to our nation in the past when dissent was stifled. McCarthy's "Red Scare" was born of popular sentiment against Communism.

In an effort to avoid the wrath of critics, a large segment of the population rejects President Bush and the war but supports the troops. Others do not support the soldiers. No one should feel compelled to cloak unpopular opinions in euphemism or to bottle feelings for fear of retribution. Only in a market of ideas can the "truth" be ascertained; a market of one idea is no market at all.

Democracy is about discussion, not about vilifying those with differing opinions. This has been the basis of our nation since its birth. We must protect this sacred right.