Ever since President Bush issued his 48-hour ultimatum to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein last week, most Americans have been glued to their television sets, consumed by the 24-hour news coverage. But this war reporting comes at the expense of non-war news of great significance.According to the Washington Post, each major network was offered 26 slots for correspondents and technicians "embedded" in the Persian Gulf, many transmitting numerous live daily reports back to the anchors at their respective studios. While CNN and Fox News, the two giants of the 24-hour cable industry, have focused on scooping each other on war reports, they have failed to balance this with appropriate coverage of other important news.

For example, on Friday, the U.S. Senate voted 52 to 48 to reject oil drilling of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR), a key component of Bush's energy policy. Also last week, Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat created a new prime minister position. The ANWR vote successfully took place under the national radar while Arafat's decision was made and received without any significant international scrutiny.

It is incumbent on the media to maintain an informed citizenry. Without varied coverage, people do not have an accurate picture of what is going on in the world. The press, the so-called "fourth branch," must check government power, especially during wartime. When we analyze this coverage in retrospect, the best reporting will be that which rejects tunnel vision inspired by war.