Josh Rouse'Under Cold, Blue Stars'

Rykodiac / Slow River

Grade: A

Josh Rouse's third full-length effort, "Under Cold Blue Stars," is so delicate in its delivery that one might mistake the unfaltering optimism of this beautiful work for sadness.

Rouse's soulful voice, which contrasts wonderfully with his optimistic lyrics, is consistently calm and mellow. His gentle performances are accentuated by simplistic guitars, drums and the occasional cello or trumpet.

Although his music is neither loud nor fast, it remains inspiring and entertaining in its folksy quietude.

"Under Cold Blue Stars" begins with the poignant string instrumental, "Twilight." Here, a trumpet mournfully forewarns the listener of the thoughtful and moving songs that will follow.

The pace picks up a little with the wonderful "Nothing Gives Me Pleasure." Despite the title, the song is amazingly delightful and cheerful.

On "Pleasure," Rouse croons over a mid-tempo percussion beat about the comfort and warmth associated with being with your loved ones. Using light guitar strums and serene vocals, Rouse successfully captures the subtle feelings of safety and sanctuary associated with home.

Keyboards enter Rouse's musical formula on the inspirational "Miracle." The album's third song reveals the cunning technique with which Rouse arranges the different instruments to emotionally manipulate his audience. Rouse's vocals achieve an enticing raspiness that gives the song a down-to-earth quality.

"Miracle" segues calmly into the climactic "Christmas with Jesus." The buoyancy of this song is at first barely noticeable, but builds up steadily until the song's first keyboard bridge. Never sounding preachy, Rouse seems surprisingly wise and sincere as he calmly sings, "and it's so very hard / But it's easier when you're friends with Jesus."

Songs like the title track and "Ugly Stories" reveal more of Rouse's mid-tempo, introspective work. The album's primary virtue and fault seem to be one in the same -- Rouse never loses his cool.

While this solidifies the beauty and emotional delicacy that is injected into every song, it also leaves the listener somewhat unfulfilled. Especially on songs like "Miracle" and "Christmas with Jesus," one is left wishing Rouse would pick up the pace and turn into an alternative rocker. The listener gets a little bit of this on the ecstatic "Feeling No Pain."

Rouse should not, however, be mistaken for a pop rocker; he is a musician to the core, and his principal talent lies in his ability to bring out subtle emotions through his simple compositions and raspy vocals. This emotional appeal is especially salient on the album's closing track, the incredibly understated and charming love song, "The Whole Night Through."

Both because of and despite its unrelenting mellowness, "Under Cold Blue Stars" is a remarkably engaging and striking album that is capable of drawing in audiences of all musical preferences. Rouse performs in a consistently sincere and content manner that allows almost anyone to relate to him.

Rouse's vocals and writing talents make him one of the most endearing performers around.

For listeners unable to endure the beauty of peacefulness, "Stars" may be a frustrating or uneventful listen, but for everyone else, listening to this superb album will be a breathtaking experience.