On Friday, Senator Paul Wellstone, D-Minn., was killed in a plane crash with his wife and daughter. Eight people, including the two pilots and three Wellstone staffers died. Wellstone, 58, was in the midst of a reelection campaign, running against St. Paul mayor Norm Coleman. They were on their way to a funeral in Northern Minnesota when the plane went down in an icy drizzle.Wellstone was considered a leading liberal in the Senate, backing many grassroots causes and social justice campaigns. He led the opposition to the war in Iraq, with his vote against authorizing President Bush to attack. Immediately following September 11th, Wellstone was the only senator to vote against military strikes on Afghanistan. He and Senator Russ Feingold, D-Wisc., shared in their opposition of Bush's conservative politics, often the only two to voice these opinions.

Winning his seat in 1990, Wellstone relied on his humor and wit rather than financial contributions for victory. Before being elected, he was often referred to as the "professor of political activism" at Carleton College in Northfield, Minn. where he taught political science.

In the '80s he organized Minnesota campaign events for Rev. Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign. In 2000, he organized a Rally for Rural America, at which he delivered a passionate speech reminding political activists that they can and do make a difference.

His sudden death has left many devastated. Wellstone's unique dedication to his principles and his constituents made him an invaluable representative.