On Sept. 17, Massachusetts Democrats will choose their candidate for governor: State senate president Tom Birmingham, state treasurer Shannon O'Brien, Brandeis professor Robert Reich (HS) or former state senator Warren Tolman. Though the Democratic candidates present similar views on most issues, Reich makes the most compelling case for governor of the commonwealth.Reich, former Secretary of Labor during the first Clinton administration, differs from the other Democratic candidates in his national experience and his self-proclaimed status as an outsider in Massachusetts politics. He also differs in one other way: The Boston Herald reported Reich would fare better than any other Democrat against Republican candidate Mitt Romney in the November election. But, if voters don't turn out for him in the primary, he'll never get this chance, and a Republican may once again hold the Massachusetts governorship.

Reich also holds more clearly defined views than his Democratic opponents. He is the only Democratic candidate who supports extending marriage to same-sex couples (the others say they support civil unions).

Reich's views on the economy are also some of the most unique in Democratic politics today. Most importantly, Reich's frank and straightforward way of dealing with people and the issues makes him more appealing. There is a closing gap in the race between O'Brien and Reich (who trails the frontrunner by 14 percent), and with about a quarter of Brandeis students from Massachusetts, it is important for us to be active and vote. Reich represents Brandeis's values, and we encourage you to represent the University at the polls this month.