Over the summer, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict continued to intensify. One of the most disastrous events in Israel was also a huge blow to America: The attack on Hebrew University that killed seven people, five of whom were American. With no end to the violence in sight, some ask if Israel is the appropriate place for university students to be studying abroad. Despite the heightened security concerns in the region, however, we feel that students should not be discouraged from studying in Israel.As conventional wisdom goes, keeping away from Israel is a victory for the terrorists. That mantra is as applicable to students as it is to tourists, if not more so. Maintaining American-Jewish presence in Israel is an important boon to Israeli morale. Should Americans pull out of Israel, it would signal a lack of support for the struggling state. We must show our support, not just with dollars, but with spirit.

The experience of being "on the ground" is invaluable. Those concerned with the Israeli-Palestinian situation will get a first-hand look at the devastation caused by the conflict as well as the reactions of those close to the situation.

While living in Israel, one will be able to experience the hostilities without the lens of the media. It is almost a truism to say that the media skews the details and reactions to the events in a light that most favors its outlook. Though certain news organizations are pro-Israeli and others pro-Palestinian, the balance of information is not neutral. Only being close to the people and places affected by war can afford a student a more objective perspective than is available here.

It would be nonsensical for a university with the largest Near Eastern and Judaic Studies program in the country to dissuade students from learning in Israel, and therefore the University has not prevented students from doing so. Studying abroad, and in Israel specifically, has always been a hallmark of the Brandeis experience. The increased danger involved inherent in studying in Israel should not halt this tradition.

It is incumbent on the individual student, however, to evaluate the value of a semester in Israel with respect to the risks involved. For many students at this university, the minimal risk of being injured in a terrorist attack does not outweigh the benefits accrued by studying abroad. For others, the choice is not so clear. In the end, the choice is a personal one.