In the prelude to their “Shades of Blackness” cultural show, an event that seeks to highlight the talents of people of color at the University and to continue their celebration of Black History Month, the Brandeis Black Student Organization hosted a career panel and discussion, which highlighted the experiences of Brandeis professionals of color, both in the workforce and during their college careers. 

Moderated by Montgomery Thomas, the Intercultural Center coordinator, the panel consisted of three professionals of color who each possess major accolades in their respective fields. Danielle Gaskin ’19, the president of BBSO, was joined by the Heller School for Social Policy and Management’s Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion Dr. Maria Madison, Desiree Murphy-Babaniyi ’10, J.D., and Ron Pascall, the president of Digital Brand Boosters, a company that helps other businesses improve brand awareness. Each panelist used their diverse experiences to shed light on the effective decision-making that occurs in choosing one’s career after college and beyond.  

Each panelist explained what drove them to become leaders in their distinctive fields. Madison explained that her initial desire to become a forerunner and educator stemmed from her family’s positive influence. Madison recalled that her parents were “staunch NAACP advocates and community organizers,” and she dedicated her current accolades and accomplishments to her family. Madison expressed that, after her work in the private sector, she sought to focus on “issues of inequality and making a difference in academia.”

Murphy-Babaniyi, an associate attorney at Morgan, Brown and Joy, LLP, expressed how adversity in her high school classroom prompted her desire to pursue her law degree and shaped her mindset as she approached future challenges. She explained that, upon expressing her desire to become a lawyer, an instructor who “only taught her a single course” attempted to persuade her to become a teacher instead. Murphy-Babaniyi’s passion for law was incited by his disbelief in her ability to succeed. Instead of discouraging her, the teacher’s repudiation encouraged her to “focus on what she set out for herself” to accomplish. 

Pascall also chimed in to talk about his inspirations and how they affected his desire to produce a strong business. Pascall explained further, expressing that his “desire to positively impact others’ lives” drove him to use business as a tool to help others.

After the panelists expressed their reasons for choosing their respective careers, they each expanded upon the impact that microaggressions can have in different fields. Murphy-Babaniyi explained that people of color can “internalize adversity not as a way that is negative” but rather as something actionable. 

Panelists further shared stories on how they personally faced racism and sexism in the workplace. Pascall explained that when he studied biology before venturing into business, he was one of the few people of color studying the subject. Pascall said he would often be “judged based on his dress,” though he stressed that the adversity he felt as others judged him “instead can be used as a strength.” Connecting this to his current business, he explained that it “is more important to turn around the negativity” and focus on oneself. 

Murphy-Babaniyi agreed, adding, “even though many jobs have the dynamic of an ‘old boy’s club,’” — referring to white, male-dominated occupations — people of color have to “use their skill set in a way that surprises people” rather than accept others’ expectations. Similar to overcoming microaggressions that people of color face in the workforce, Murphy-Babaniyi expressed that “the challenge of staying strong in adversity, especially in occupations that are different, makes you stronger and enables you to learn in different ways.” 

“Each environment you are in is what you make of it,” she added, “and it is the integrity of what is there that promotes your own self identity.” 

Moreover, Madison explained that when seeking careers outside of college, “connections with alumni and others in your college’s network can help you learn about new opportunities that come afterward.” While your experience at college is important, “it’s also who you know” that can ultimately lead you to a new position in the future, she explained. Murphy-Babaniyi concluded the panel by expressing that, both during and after college, “you have to be confident and stay true to yourself, and that in it itself shapes your future successes.”