On Sept. 12, Brandeis eked out a dramatic double-overtime 1-0 win over top rival Babson College to give Head Coach Michael Coven his 500th career win.

The first half started out rather evenly, with both teams registering one shot on target during the first half. The pitch was slanted in the second half, however. After what was surely an inspiring halftime speech, the Judges dominated offensively from the onset of the start of the second half. Within the first five minutes, Babson goalkeeper Stephen Donato made two diving key saves, first on Brandon Miskin and then on Patrick Flahive. Babson did outshoot Brandeis 7-6 in total shots over the rest of regulation, leading to a total regulation shot count of 15-9 in favor of Brandeis, but none of Babson’s second-half attempts were serious threats on goal.    

The first overtime was relatively even, as the teams tied in shots 2-2. Babson nearly scored in the 95th minute on Justin Kaplan’s attempt, but the ball lofted over the crossbar. Babson’s leading scorer wasn’t the only player who nearly scored in the first overtime. Brandeis midfielder Josh Ocel ’17 thought he gave his team the lead in the 98th minute only to see the ball curl just wide of the post.

The second overtime belonged to the Brandeis midfield and forwards. The Judges came out firing and led in double overtime shots 4-0. After missing three early shots, the Judges received a dangerous free kick in the 108th minute, after Ocel was pulled down. Ocel swung a cross toward the six-year box, where captain midfielder Jake Picard ’15 headed in a rocket past the visitors’ keeper for the game-winner.

Picard’s clutch heroics are not a new sign. Just the night before, he scored the game-winning goal in Brandeis’s 1-0 victory over Clark. It is clear that he will have a busy and extraordinary season. His clutch attacking genius and knack for converting on scoring opportunities will be crucial to the Judges during close games, in which they have already played in many — each of their five wins this season has been decided by a single goal.

While Babson’s Donato had a busy night, making nine saves in total, Brandeis goalkeeper Kenn Fryer ’15 faced much less action, as he was only required to make that one save in the first half. Fryer earned his second clean sheet of the early season. Brandeis’s offensive advantage extended to set pieces, as well; Brandeis totaled seven corner kicks, compared to Babson’s two.

Like usual, the rivalry game was a physical affair. Tempers flared, screaming was heard and bodies flung throughout the match. Accordingly, head referee Borislav Senic had a busy evening, calling 35 total fouls. Unfortunately for Babson, the foul category was the only one in which they led Brandeis in, out-fouling the Judges 21-14. The teams, however, split space in Senic’s book, with Babson’s James Rosso receiving a yellow card in the 27th minute, followed by Brandeis’ midfielder Christian Hernandez ’18 being shown a yellow card as well in the 64th minute.

This win marked Coven’s 19th against Babson. Coven is in his 43rd season as coach for the Judges and has posted an impressive overall record of 500-258-52. He is one of six coaches in Division III history and eleven coaches in NCAA history to reach the 500-win milestone.

Saturday’s game was the 63rd meeting between the Boston-area rivals. The Judges trail 25-28-10 in the series but have won four straight against the Beavers, with this year’s senior class of players being the first in school history to go undefeated. The Judges are now 7-1 on the season.