The baseball team went 1-2 on a week that saw its fair share of highs and lows last week. 

The Judges fell in their final two games of the week with consecutive road losses against New England foes Johnson & Wales University and Roger Williams University, falling 6-3 and 6-5, respectively. 

The team picked up its only win of the week in a rout against Springfield College.

Judges 5, Roger Williams 6

On Thursday, the Judges squared off against Roger Williams in a non-conference game. 

The game was a back-and-forth battle for the Judges, with the Hawks jumping out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning off of RBI singles from junior infielder Kevin Baker and junior first baseman Shawn Cargilio. 

After four straight innings that saw Judges hitters reach base, the away squad was finally able to break through in the fourth on right fielder Ryan Healy’s ’16 RBI single. The game remained close for several innings until the Hawks were able to bring two runners home in the seventh, the result of freshman outfielder Sean Gaffney’s triple, followed by a timely sacrifice fly.

While it looked as though the Judges were finished, they caught a second wind in the top of the eighth, scoring three runs off of the Hawks’ relievers. 

Two of those runs came as the result of outfielder Ryan Tettemer’s ’17 home run, who had a career day at the plate, finishing 4-5 with a home run and three RBIs. 

Unfortunately, Tettemer’s heroics weren’t enough to stave off the resilient Hawks. 

The host squad got back two runs off of senior catcher and captain Chris Travers’ two-run shot in the bottom of the eighth. 

The Judges pushed hard for one last comeback, highlighted by another Tettemer timely RBI but saw their effort fall short as Roger Williams’ outfielder Caulin Rogers made an amazing game-saving catch to crush the Judges spirit and secure a victory for the Hawks. 

Pitcher Sam Miller ’16 picked up the loss for the squad, pitching 2.1 innings in relief. 

Miller allowed three earned runs and five hits while striking out two. 

“Roger Williams was a really exciting game,” said pitcher Justin Gallanty ’18. 

“Tettemer had a huge game,” he continued, before noting his disappointment in the game’s final result. “That was a disappointing loss but we showed a lot of heart and fight.” The loss dropped the Judges to 11-16. 

Judges 3, Johnson & Wales 6

On Tuesday, the Judges saw their four-game winning streak come to a halt on the road at the hands of the Johnson & Wales Wildcats. 

The Judges jumped out to an early lead in the game, with catcher Connor Doyle ’16 scoring on an error in the second inning, and designated hitter Ryan Pocock ’18 crossed home in the third after a grounder from third baseman Tom McCarthy ’15 to second. 

The Wildcats quickly responded, scoring one in the bottom of the third and three in the fourth off of relievers Liam Coughlin ’17 and Bradley Bousquet ’18. 

The Judges put up another run in the sixth, the result of an RBI single by right fielder Ryan Healy ’16. However, the Judges were unable to dig themselves out of their deep hole, ultimately falling to the Wildcats by a score of 6-3. 

Pocock was the starting pitcher on the day, only lasting 2.2 innings while giving up one run and three hits on the day.

He struck out three in the contest while allowing one walk.

Gallanty shared his thoughts on Tuesday’s contest, stating that it was “a very winnable game and we let it get away.” 

Simply put by Gallanty, “We didn’t play well.” The loss dropped the Judges to 11-15 and proved even more costly than the standings show, as it halted the Judges’ mounting momentum. 

Judges 11, Springfield 3

On Monday, the Judges claimed an emphatic victory over the Springfield Pride at home. 

The game saw every Brandeis starter connect on at least one base hit, with six different starters finishing the contest with multi-hit batting appearances. 

Perhaps more impressively, six starters finished the game with RBIs, with four starters claiming two apiece. 

Heading the hitting clinic, right fielder Ryan Healy ’16 went 3-4 with two RBIs, a home run, and two runs scored. 

Third baseman Greg Heineman ’17 also had three base hits, racking up two RBIs and scoring a run of his own. 

Left fielder Ryan Tettemer ’17 and shortstop Nick Falkson ’18 hopped on the hit train, each doubling in the contest. 

While the Judges’ hitting proved impressive, the team’s bullpen work was just as—if not even more—stellar. 

Pitcher Anthony Nomakeo ’17 got the start for the squad, only going 1.2 innings while allowing one earned run.

Relievers Anthony Nomakeo ’17, Bradley Bousquet ’18 and Justin Freeman ’17 held the Pride to just five hits and two runs over the final seven-and-a-third innings of the ballgame. 

The bullpen helped secure what was ultimately a wildly lopsided victory by the hometown Judges. 

Following the victory, Gallanty reflected on the Judges’ performance: “Springfield was a really good win for us. Our offense was pretty dominant, putting up double digit runs and hits. The bullpen did a great job throwing strikes and getting outs.” 

The victory was the Judges’ fourth straight and brought them to 11-14 on the season. 

The Judges return to action on the road on Tuesday, squaring off against Gordon College at 3:30 p.m. 

The team has six games left on the schedule, including the final four contests to be played at home.