The National Hockey League draft lottery took place Saturday night, and every non-playoff team had a chance to win the right to draft first overall on June 26. 

The Buffalo Sabres and Arizona Coyotes actively spent this NHL season tanking to increase their chances of drafting consensus generational talent Connor McDavid of the Erie Otters. 

They came into the draft with lottery odds of 20 percent and 13.5 percent, respectively.

As models of rebuilding franchises, these teams have been taking steps to surround whichever of McDavid or other generational talent—Boston University’s star center Jack Eichel—they had the privilege to draft. 

Instead, the third-worst team in the NHL will now have the chance to draft McDavid. 

The Edmonton Oilers won the draft lottery at 11 percent odds, and they will be selecting number one overall for the fourth time in the last six seasons. 

With those other three first overall picks, the Oilers selected Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov, all skilled offensive players, and failed to focus on their defense through the draft at the number one position. 

All of their selections since 2010 have been in the top 10, but the only defenseman drafted of those picks was Darnell Nurse, the nephew of NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb, at number seven overall.  

Just because they have number one overall doesn’t mean Edmonton will necessarily draft McDavid. Based on the tentative development of their other number ones and other rising stars on their team like Nurse, Leon Draisatl (a number three overall) and Jordan Eberle, the Oilers might seek an established NHL talent from a team more willing to take a chance on McDavid with a better history of developing offensive players.

McDavid is an almost impossible talent to pass up, so this most likely will not be the case, but Edmonton General Manager Craig MacTavish may get some interesting offers for the first overall pick.

Sabres GM Tim Murray is all but guaranteed to take Eichel at number two, another generational talent capable of singlehandedly tilting a game and becoming the perfect centerpiece for a rebuilding franchise. The Sabres guaranteed themselves at least Eichel by finishing last, but the result is still slightly disappointing for Sabres fans after an intentionally lost season.

The real loser in this situation is the Arizona Coyotes. The Coyotes have taken steps to amass top developing talent, and McDavid or Eichel would have been perfect supplements to top-tier offensive prospects like Max Domi, Anthony Duclair and Klas Dahlbeck. 

The Coyotes also have Chicago’s first round pick in this draft, acquiring it in the trade that sent center lineman Antoine Vermette to the Chicago Blackhawks. 

While Noah Hanifin is a promising defensive prospect almost universally projected to be the third overall pick, there is a significant talent difference between the top two and the rest of the field. 

McDavid or Eichel are the most highly touted projected top-two draft picks since the Capitals and Penguins drafted star players Alex Ovechkin and Evgeny Malkin at number one and number two respectively in 2004.  

It remains to be seen what MacTavish will do, but with an 11 percent chance, the Oilers leapfrogged the only two teams worse than them where they will be given another try to kickstart a franchise that has not made the playoffs since 2006. Arizona will draft third followed by the Toronto Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes and New Jersey Devils.