Lawrence S. Kanarek ’76 has been chosen as the chairman of the presidential search committee.

In an email to the Justice, Kanarek confirmed that he was appointed by Chairman of the Board Perry Traquina ’78 in early March and that he is still forming the committee itself at this time. Traquina did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Prof. Thomas Pochapsky (CHEM), the chair of the Faculty Senate, confirmed in an email to the Justice that there will be faculty representation on the committee.

The Faculty Senate is currently reviewing nominations for faculty members who wish to appear on the committee, which Pochapsky called “a time-consuming but important task” at Thursday’s faculty meeting.

Student Union President Sneha Walia ’15 told students at a forum last Thursday that she will be the student representative on the committee.

She later clarified in an email to the Justice that “no one has reached out to me, but I was nominated and [Senior Vice President for Students and Enrollment] Andrew Flagel let me know that I was appointed to [the presidential search committee].”

Kanarek was elected to the Board of Trustees in 2010, according to the University’s website. He is a senior director at McKinsey and Company Inc., a global management consulting firm.

Kanarek is the head of the company’s Washington, D.C. office, according to Brandeis magazine ,and is also a member of the civic council for D.C. Agenda, a private organization that works to improve governance in the D.C. area, according to the University website.

Kanarek served on the Board of Overseers at the International Business School. He chaired the fundraising campaign to establish the Barney Schwalberg Endowed Scholarship at Brandeis, named in honor of a professor emeritus of economics.

He received a B.A. in Economics summa cum laude from Brandeis at age 20, according to Brandeis magazine, and received his M.B.A. from Harvard Business School as a Baker Scholar with high distinction in 1980.

—Tzlil Levy contributed reporting.