This week, the Office of the Arts announced the events for this year’s Leonard Bernstein Festival of the Creative Arts. The festival, which will run from April 23 to 26, will host various public arts installations and use the Rose Art Museum’s “Light of Reason” sculpture as a stage for performances.

The festival has various activities each day, and a website for the festival is expected to launch within the next few days, according to Acting Director of the Office of the Arts Ingrid Schorr in an interview with the Justice.

Thursday’s main events will be a creativity symposium; a seminar on women’s rights and activism; several workshops; three performances and extended hours at the Rose Art Museum.

There will be an a cappella show later in the evening featuring student groups like Rather Be Giraffes and Ba’Note in addition to a spoken word showcase at Cholmondeley’s coffee house.

Friday’s highlight will be an unusual high-stakes chess game. The festival’s life-sized chess game, Glenn Kaino’s “The Burning Boards,” will follow 32 players as they attempt to play the game using chess pieces forged from burning candles. The performance is expected to unite players against an unusual opponent. Instead of focusing on each other, the players are expected to band together against time as they attempt to make their moves before time runs out.

In a press release last Tuesday from the Office of Communications, Kaino mentions that “no matter what level of chess player you are, the fire becomes a meditation in a different way.” The game will take place beside Chris Burden’s sculpture at the Rose.

In her interview, Schorr mentioned that “some of the confirmed players [are] Lisa Lynch, the provost, the artist Glenn Kaino [and] the President of the Chess Club Misha Vilenchuk [’16].”

Elaborating, Schorr said that “There will be 32 altogether.” Saturday’s events will focus on dance and musical performances from all different genres. The day will see dance performances at the Rose and an electro acoustic concert/ “half marathon.” The marathon concert will feature works by Brandeis undergraduate and graduate student composers.

Threaded throughout Saturday’s events will be Brandeis’ Folk Fest, a concert of folk singers. In the 1960’s, the concert featured a young Bob Dylan, and this year it will offer sets by new folk artists and bands. Brandeis ensembles, such as the Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra and the Brandeis Early Music Ensemble, will also give concerts. Sunday will arguably be the busiest day of the festival; on April 26, the festival will honor founder Leonard Bernstein’s commitment to arts engagement by hosting free events for families and children from 1 to 5 p.m. There will be a cappella performances, musicians, orchestra performances and improvisation shows by professionals, amateurs and students alike. More mature crowds on Sunday will be able to watch a performance piece at the Women’s Studies Resource Center based on the center’s new exhibit, Father Tongue. Milcah Bassel PB ’11, the Hadassah-Brandeis artist in residence, created the exhibit based on Hebrew letters and language.

When asked what she hopes students and attendees will take away from the festival, Schorr stressed that the students’ participation, creativity and enthusiasm. She elaborated and said that “we have so many students who are presenting work as the culmination of their year or of their four years at Brandeis, like the senior festival of plays, seniors in Theater Arts who are directing or writing or producing original work.”

The festival should have an event to suit every person’s tastes, and will be a comprehensive showcase of talent both on and off campus.

--This article was corrected for accuracy on March 29th.