On Jan. 7, two gunmen, Chérif and Saïd Kouachi, attacked the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a French satirical magazine, in response to cartoons that depicted the Prophet Muhammad. Among the 12 killed are the magazine’s editor, cartoonists and a police officer. Vigils were held on Jan. 7 in Barcelona, Copenhagen, London, New York and Washington, D.C. On Wednesday, a senior leader of al-Qaeda in Yemen claimed responsibility for the attack. The cover of Charlie Hebdo’s newest edition features an image of the prophet shedding a tear and holding a sign that says “Je suis Charlie,” as the headline reads “Tout Est Pardon,” or “All is Forgiven.” Do you think that Charlie Hebdo responded appropriately by publishing the newest edition of the magazine with the image of the Prophet Muhammad on the cover? 

Prof. Kristen Lucken (IGS, REL)
Bill Maher-style irreverence has epitomized French literature for centuries, with Voltaire as the Crown Prince of Mockery. Voltaire’s take-no-prisoners satire left no contemporary group unscathed. Half a century later, a bloody squabble is unfolding over what is deemed “sacred” within French society. The longstanding hallmark of Liberal Democracy has been freedom of speech, which is embodied by the ‘Fifth Estate”—the press.  On the other hand, respect for the image of the Prophet is a cornerstone of the Muslim faith. The clash of sacred symbols—free speech on one hand and respect for the Prophet on the other—create two intransigent counterpoints that cause dangerous sparks.  These are non-negotiables to each party, and explosions ensue on the public stage when they meet. But given the unique political history of France, it is questionable if a rebuke about their religious insensitivity would diminish the nation’s penchant for satire. 
Prof. Kristen Lucken is a lecturer in the International and Global Studies and Religious Studies departments.
Leslie Kamel '16
The latest edition of the satirical magazine expresses the need for solidarity throughout France as the nation begins to recover. This act of terror challenges the people’s sense of security and sovereignty. The image is intended to be reassuring. One can look at the cartoon as a mechanism for change, allowing the past to be pardoned and a brighter future. However, the intended message of solidarity and forgiveness could have been better expressed. Freedom of speech comes under scrutiny when religion is involved. This dilemma is not unique to France, yet it stands in the spotlight setting the precedent for the international community.
Leslie is an Undergraduate Department Representative for the French and Francophone Studies department. She recently studied abroad in Paris. 

Shikha Chandarana '17
While the Charlie Hebdo attacks cannot be justified in any way possible, and are a deplorable act of terrorism, the event brings to light an important discussion about the limitations of the press—even when that press is being satirical. I think it wasn’t okay for Charlie Hebdo to publish a cover with the face of Muhammad (which is a serious sin in Islam). It was insensitive, and in some ways it directly attacked an entire, mostly peaceful religion. Never should any organization be denied their freedom of speech, and acts like the attacks on Charlie Hebdo should always be condemned. But the people of the world should also act responsibly, and not attack religions, races and sexualities. 
Shikha Chandarana ’17 is the co-president of Amnesty International Brandeis Chapter.

Brandon Sousa '16
France deeply values the freedom of expression, so the French have adamantly supported Charlie Hebdo. Many in France, myself included, are happy that Charlie Hebdo published a new edition this week. Nevertheless, I think the new cover is in bad taste, since it fails to consider the French Muslims who have condemned the attack. I particularly find the cover disrespectful to the memory of Ahmed Merabet, the Muslim police officer who was also killed in the shooting. “Liberté, égalité, fraternité” is the national motto of France. France has rallied around the liberty of that motto. I hope France can also rally around fraternity for people of all religions.
Brandon Sousa a member of the Brandeis French and Francophone Club. He is currently studying abroad in France.