If you haven’t discovered Canadian indie rockers The New Pornographers, their new album Brill Bruisers is a great place to start. Released on Aug. 26, the group’s sixth studio album combines all of the synth-pop, folk-rock, genre-bending goodness of their past releases into a solid repeat-worthy set of 13 songs.

Ringleader A.C. Newman, who already had a successful solo career, formed the New Pornographers in 2000 along with fellow vocalists Neko Case (also a solo artist) and Dan Bejar of existing bands Destroyer and Swan Lake. Rounding out the lineup are musicians Blaine Thurier, John Collins, Kurt Dahle and Kathryn Calder, who joined the band in 2005 and contributes vocals. Newman and Bejar do most of the songwriting but lead vocalists switch off every song.

The band’s music reflects its members’ diverse musical backgrounds, which is why the songs run the gamut from power ballads to upbeat rock numbers and pop gems.

Brill Bruisers’ title either comes from the British slang for “brilliant,” according to the band’s website, or the Brill Building in New York City, which has housed famous music industry offices and studios, the band even played a set at the building itself on Thursday for NPR Music). The album opener and lead single of the same name opens with classic “bo-ba-bo” harmonies and is an example of the band’s catchy but obscure lyrics. I don’t know what “brilliant bruisers taking the wheel” means, but it’s fun to sing.

Case’s lead vocals in “Champions of Red Wine” and “Marching Orders” are the standout female-vocal tracks on the album with Case at her indie chanteuse best. Case reasserts her authority and return to the top of the music scene after her 2013 ill-received toned-down solo release, The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You. On “Marching Orders,” Case instructs the listener to “come on, really lose your voice.” The songs might not have the typical hook of top-40 pop on the radio, but they beg you to sing aloud nonetheless and enjoy their uniqueness.

If a group is the sum of its parts, then The New Pornographers are at their best when they are collaborating. The tracks with multiple vocalists allow the band to showcase its mixed-gender vocal talents while breaking away from the one-vocalist-per-song formula of some of their former albums.

“Fantasy Fools” is one of these shining collaborations, with Newman and Calder sharing the vocals. The lyrics are again bizarre and thought-provoking, such as the opening “Here come the fortune seekers/ backyard dreams that bleed their secrets.” The vocalizations are perfectly complimented by the keyboard synths and plucky guitars, creating one of the album’s most upbeat moments.

In “Born with a Sound,” Bejar shares vocal duties with Amber Webber, member of Canadian rock band Black Mountain. Webber’s voice is grittier than Calder’s crisp vocals and Case’s low croon, but she nicely compliments Bejar’s breathy “get it out” on the chorus.

Oftentimes, the songs can sound as if they belong to each member’s respective side projects, such as Bejar’s “War on the East Coast,” but the different sounds prevents the album from falling into boring monotony. The album is not without its bizarre moments, such as a redo of Bejar’s song “Spider,” now spelled “Spyder,” with its wailing sirens and repeats of “they want you,” or the sparse, short “Another Drug Deal of the Heart,” which never reaches the chorus that it seems to be building toward.

The New Pornographers’ sound and exact type of music is hard to pinpoint, as I have yet to encounter another group with a similar aesthetic. Sometimes, groups like this get lost in the fray since they don’t have a genre to stand out in, but this has worked to the band’s advantage. As they sing in “Wide Eyes,” they are “the exception that proves [the] rule.” Their unusual formula adds up to a new album that, while it does sound like their most recent album Together, also highlights their evolution as a group and their ability to pair the different musical styles and different vocalists to perfection.