It’s fall TV time, which means brand-new seasons of returning favorites as well as premieres of hot new series. Some returning shows include comedy smash The Big Bang Theory, as well as the long-running crime drama Bones and Netflix’s House of Cards.

One especially notable returning show is Lisa Kudrow’s sitcom The Comeback, which was canceled after a 13-episode one-season run in 2005 on HBO. Kudrow, who found fame on Friends, shone as the zany Valerie Cherish as she navigated the world of reality television as a former soap star. The new six-episode season will give the series its much-deserved second chance, as current HBO execs have decided that the network now has the capacity to add the comedy back into its hit-packed lineup.

If you’re looking for something new though, this season should have something for everyone. From superheroes to 18th-century Scotland to singing fairytales, the eclectic roundup should be a major improvement from summer’s slow season.

Fox’s new additions include the Red Band Society and Gotham. The former is an already critically-acclaimed show following the mini-trend of dramas centering around young people with cancer (see John Green’s tearjerker novel-turned-blockbuster The Fault in Our Stars or ABC Family’s Chasing Life). The latter stars The Help’s Octavia Spencer, Brothers and Sisters’ Dave Annable and a slew of fresh young faces playing sick children in a pediatric ward.

Gotham is TV’s latest foray into the world of superheroes, set in Batman’s hometown but focusing on Detective James Gordon (Ben Mckenzie) as he investigates the murders of the future Dark Knight’s parents. The young Bruce Wayne, played by newcomer David Mazouz, as well as the butler Alfred, played by Sean Pertwee, are also prominent characters.

Outlander is an ambitious double period piece airing on Starz. Based on Diana Gabaldon’s epic series of novels, the show is carried by Catriona Balfe as Claire, a British World War II nurse who is transported to 1743 while on a second honeymoon with her husband in Scotland. The premise sounds confusing, but the sprawling romance is already a hit after its first few episodes.

The History Channel is offering up the two-part scripted miniseries Houdini, starring Adrien Brody as the famous illusionist. The show chronicles Houdini’s rise to infamy through his daring stunts as an escape artist.

Following the success of it’s wildly popular Once Upon a Time, ABC will premiere the ambitious Galavant. Sharing Once’s fairy-tale plotlines, the show is a new step for the network since it is a musical with original songs written by Glenn Slater and composed by Alan Menken. Both contributed to Disney classics such as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. John Stamos and Downton Abbey’s Hugh Bonneville are already slated to guest star on the series, which follows the titular character on a quest for his “happily ever after.”

Back in present day, CBS’s Madam Secretary and NBC’s State of Affairs are new political dramas featuring female protagonists, following in ABC’s Scandal’s footsteps. Starring Katherine Heigl as a CIA analyst in her first major television since Grey’s Anatomy, State of Affairs also features Alfre Woodard as the first black female President of the United States. Madam Secretary stars Tea Leoni as a Secretary of State balancing her personal and public lives.

If none of these shows intrigue you, this isn’t a comprehensive list so there’s more out there to be discovered. I’m excited for all of them and hope I can find time to try them out!