On Wednesday, about 50 student protesters stood silently with signs carrying messages about sexual violence at the opening of “Light of Reason,” the new permanent installation outside the Rose Art Museum. This board recognizes the substantial problem of sexual assault on college campuses nationwide—about one in five female students are sexually assaulted during their college years, and the rate of reported assaults on men and transgender individuals continues to rise, according to the National Center for Lesbian Rights. Sexual violence is a significant problem at Brandeis. We feel compassion for our peers who are survivors, and believe that this is not an issue to be swept aside with empty promises.

However, we believe that this specific protest and its goals were both unclear and misguided, and its disruption of a major university event was thus unwarranted. The protest’s only specified goal, according to its Facebook page, was to elicit a statement from University President Frederick Lawrence about sexual assault on campus. We understand the symbolism of this gesture, but feel that this cause deserves more specific, action-oriented demands to enact change on campus. Now that Lawrence has publicized a press release on the issue, the efforts of the protesters do not appear to have led to significant actionable change beyond what was already occurring.

The University has also made progress on the issue over the past year. In response to a 17-page letter from Brandeis Students Against Sexual Violence, and other voices from the community last spring, the University has recently begun the process of dramatically reshaping and reworking the sexual assault policies and services at Brandeis. It has established a position for a sexual assault services and prevention specialist, created a Rape Crisis Center, developed a website to increase awareness about services and prevention, and conducted bystander intervention training for select groups including community advisors and orientation leaders. Additionally, the Rights and Responsibilities handbook’s section regarding the Special Examiner’s Process is currently being re-written. Though the release of the updated edition has been long delayed, it will include a Survivor’s Bill of Rights, among other changes geared toward protecting sexual assault survivors.

Undeniably, there are still changes to be made. For instance, Sexual Assault Services and Prevention Specialist Sheila McMahon has just gone on academic leave until December, and instead of finding an interim replacement, the administration has chosen to cover her position with existing staff members and students. McMahon should be replaced with an equivalently skilled specialist while she is gone. Moreover, the Rape Crisis Center on campus should be staffed by professionals, rather than solely students. Lastly, it would be a strong step forward to institutionalize mandatory bystander intervention training for every first-year at Orientation, emphasizing the importance of a safe campus in the mind of all students beginning their Brandeis careers. And this list is not absolute—for an issue as substantial as preventing sexual assault on campus there are, and always will be, steps that can be taken until the issue is eradicated from our campus. 

Moving forward, this board hopes the students involved in this recent protest, as well as the entire student body, promote  productive dialogue and tenable action, not merely the ones that cause the greatest reaction. Unfortunately though, the sole purpose of this single protest that this board is aware of to date was to elicit a statement from Lawrence, a goal that could have been accomplished in a way which was not disrespectful to Lawrence, Rose Director Chris Bedford, artist Chris Burden, the various performers and the hundreds of community members and outsiders who came to the Rose on Wednesday to witness the dedication and lighting of the installation.

A movement or protest such as this should strive for a safer campus. A clear, targeted and respectful campaign would be the best way to engage students and administrators in the vital movement toward an end to sexual assault on campus. The entire Brandeis community should stand behind the implicit goals of the protestors; we just hope those advocating will use more productive means to solve this problem.