The women’s soccer team opened up the season with a 1-0 loss at home against the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Friday, but managed to bounce back on Sunday on the road against Clark University 1-0, earning coach Denise Dallamora her 300th win in her 35th season as coach of the team—the program’s only coach in its history.

Dallamora carries a career 300-256-58 record and is just the 14th Division III coach to reach the plateau, and one of 35 to reach the mark across all NCAA divisions.

Forward Samantha Schwartz ’18, who scored Sunday’s only goal, shared how it felt to be a part of Dallamora’s 300th win. 

“It meant a lot to us; Obviously we were hoping for it to be against our home opener against MIT, but regardless it was great that we knew we were almost giving back to coach Dallamora for all that she's done for us as a team,” she said.

The Judges responded to a poor showing in their first game of the season with a resounding victory against the Clark Cougars. 

The Judges put the pressure on from the start, outshooting the home team 15-1 in the first half. 

As well as the Judges started the game, Clark junior goalkeeper Gabby Paolini might have played even better, managing to stop all of Brandeis’ shots on goal and keeping the score tied 0-0 at the half.

Her 11 saves at the half would be impressive for an entire game’s worth of work, and she finished with 15 on the day. 

The Judges were finally able to take advantage of their continued pressure with a goal in the 60th minute when midfielder Sapir Edalati ’15 crossed the ball from the right side of the box onto the foot of undefended Schwartz for the go-ahead goal. 

“I saw [Edalati] coming up the end line on the right side and I was trying to get into the box and be back post for her,” Schwartz said. 

“She slotted the ball across the top of the six [yard box] and I just touched it in,” she continued.

The goal was the first of Schwartz’s collegiate career and the first of the season for the team following Friday’s shutout. 

Edalati led the squad with six shots—five on goal—and eight of the 10 Judges to record a shot had two or more.

The Judges’ defense locked down from that point on and did not allow another shot on net the rest of the way, ending the game with a gaudy 27-3 shot advantage and coming away with the victory. 

In their home opener against MIT on Friday evening the Judges were less impressive, and they saw their three-match winning-streak against the Engineers come to an end. 

Though the game had an identical 1-0 scoreline to the last two years’ contests—both of which ended in victory for the Judges—it was the visiting Engineers who protected an early 1-0 lead this time around.

A turnover in the defensive zone in the 13th minute led to an early lead for the Engineers. Following a diving save by goalkeeper Michelle Savuto ’15, the Judges were unsuccessfully able to fully clear the ensuing corner kick and MIT freshman forward Olivia Struckman converted the turnover into the eventual game-winning goal.

Neither team ever managed to gain any offensive momentum, as both teams finishing with an anemic two shots on goal at the end of the game, but the early goal was enough to give MIT the win.  

Schwartz felt that the Judges had a very good chance to win the game. 

“After our loss against MIT most people on our team said that it really didn't feel like we lost the game,” she said. 

“I think we gave everything that we had on the field and as a team we would not have done it any other way. 

“We obviously would have liked a different outcome but we have the whole season ahead of us to focus on, we can't really fixate on that one loss.”

Though the Judges managed just two shots on goal they produced five overall shots and six corner kicks, an indication that the offense would eventually come to life. 

Lifeless in Friday’s game, the Judges finally found their form in Sunday’s contest and got their coach her historic victory.

With only two games having gone by in the young season, the Judges will be looking to improve every step of the way. 

According to Schwartz, there are a few things that have already come up as focal points.

“I think we really want to focus on our finishing as a team,” Schwartz explained. 

“We had a lot of chances today against Clark that were really good but I think as a team we hope to improve on our finishing as a whole. 

“So far though the coaching has really pushed us and the chemistry on and off the field has been great so I think everything can just go up from here.”

Brandeis’ next matchup is at home against Lasell College this Saturday afternoon.