The Senate convened last Wednesday night for its final meeting of the year before next year's senators were elected.

First, Brandeis Bridges approached the Senate to request recognition and charter. Currently, Brandeis Bridges Fellows bridge the gap between the Jewish and African American communities on campus. However, the fellows said that they wanted to open this opportunity to the entire Brandeis community. The club was recognized and chartered.

DEIS.kernel, a computer science club that was recognized last semester, then approached the Senate to request charter. The club requested money for speakers, as well as other expenses such as a projector. The club was unanimously chartered.

Brandeis Consulting and Marketing Group then approached the Senate. Prior to recognition, the Senate first had to de-charter and de-recognize the non-functioning Marketing Club in order to merge marketing and consulting. After the Senate voted to do so, the Senate voted in favor of recognizing Brandeis Consulting and Marketing Group.

Next, the Caribbean Club approached the Senate to request both recognition and charter. The club described its purpose as not only celebrating Caribbean culture, but also eradicating prevalent stereotypes about the Caribbean and people from the Caribbean.

Some senators raised concerns, inquiring about the whereabouts of the Caribbean and which countries are included in the Caribbean, in order to ensure that there was no duality of purpose with other clubs on campus. There was not. Other senators raised concerns as they were unsure of the existence of such stereotypes, and asked for specific examples.
The club also petitioned for charter in order to hold events.

Several senators raised concerns because they were unsure if the club had specific plans, and argued that the club could receive charter at a later time. Ultimately, the Senate voted to charter and recognize the Caribbean Club.

The French and Francophone Club then approached the Senate for recognition and charter. The claim aims to celebrate French and Francophone culture. The club also said that it would require funding for several events and lecturers, as well as a possible event with the French consulate in Boston. The club was approved for recognition and charter.

Class of 2015 Senator and Chair of the Sustainability Committee Anna Bessendorf approached the Senate on behalf of the Brandeis Sustainability Fund. The Senate then approved changes to the constitution that would streamline and update the BSF approval process.

A Senate meeting with the newly-elected senators and the sitting senators to select an executive senator for the fall 2014 semester will take place tonight at 9 p.m. in Levin Ballroom before Midnight Buffet. According to Student Union Vice President Charlotte Franco '15 in an email to the Justice, the meeting will be informal and predominantly in executive session in order to select the next executive senator.

Social Justice and Diversity Committee Chair and Senator-at-Large Naomi DePina '16 announced that the president of the American Bar Association will visit the University on Tuesday for the scheduled event at 11:30 a.m. in the Lurias.

DePina then proposed a Senate Money Resolution for another event taking place on Tuesday titled "Navigating Transitions." The SMR was passed.

By-law amendments to give the Sustainability Committee some of BSF's previous responsibilities were then brought to the Senate. The amendments were passed.

Bessendorf then added that 40 percent of all energy used on campus comes from the Shapiro Science Complex.

-Marissa Ditkowsky