The 2024 Women’s National Basketball Association draft did not fail to disappoint, as members of one of the most successful classes of graduating seniors in women’s college basketball history were prominently featured as top picks. The electrifying phenom Caitlin Clark of the University of Iowa went number one overall to the Indiana Fever, pairing her excellent perimeter play and three point shooting with the inside scoring prowess of last years’ draft top selection, Aliyah Boston. 

Going second overall was Stanford University's forward Cameron Brink to the Los Angeles Sparks. Brink was not as much of a consensus at number two as Clark was at number one. However, she  backs up her early selection with her defensive ability, averaging almost four blocks a game, as well as her outstanding rebounding. Other notable selections include the University of South Carolina’s imposing post player Kamilla Cardoso to the Chicago Sky at number three, where she will be paired with another rookie post player in Louisiana State University’s Angel Reese, who was picked seventh. Dynamo Rickea Jackson out of the University of Tennessee and guard Jacy Sheldon from  Ohio State University round out the top five, going to the Los Angeles Sparks and Dallas Wings respectively.

Our predictions of the WNBA draft correctly anticipated Clark’s status as the number one overall pick to the Fever, but we did not predict any of the other major picks accurately. Nonetheless, we were pretty precise in predicting the general range that prospects such as Brink, Cardoso and Reese would be picked in. It is often difficult to anticipate the choices teams make when drafting,  as the decisions are the result of dozens of individuals working collaboratively to hone in on the one individual they need to assist their team. Nevertheless, we hope that many of these selections allow the players to prosper in their future careers, and continue the success that they experienced in college.