Since the founding of The Justice newspaper in 1949, student journalists have worked diligently to cover topics that are important to the Brandeis and Waltham community. From our coverage of the 11 day sit-in for equity and inclusion at Ford Hall to the Brandeis workers protest, the paper has been a consistent and reliable source for students and community members to turn to. The production of the paper is not always easy; it requires dedication and mustering through the late nights of editing and revising. However, if you ask our staff they would say it’s worth it. To hold the final copy of the paper in our hands, to see people on campus flipping through every page is incredibly gratifying. Over the years, The Justice has received recognition from Columbia University’s journalism program, Change.org, the Boston Globe and more. It not only has been able to reach Brandeis but serve the general public as well. 

As we held the 75th anniversary of The Justice celebration last October, our office flooded with past editors and writers from the classes of 1999 to 1960. They joyfully recalled the nights in the office and their favorite stories they had written. While not every former staff member of the paper has gone on to a career in journalism, they expressed that this work not only provided them with a sense of community but it also allowed them to develop their sense of self and voice. Reporting encourages you to engage with our community in a meaningful way, by spending time with interviewees and crafting questions to get the best quote or capture memorable moments. It also nudges you out of your comfort zone whether that be pestering admin for a quote, reaching out for interview requests or traveling across the city for a story. While it might seem daunting at first, the more you don a press pass it becomes exhilarating.

So, as we celebrate the 75th edition of The Justice, we would like to take this opportunity to thank past editors and contributors, whose work paved the way for us to thrive as a publication today. In the past, crafting the paper was a painstaking process — editors had to print the paper from an office in a building that does not even exist at Brandeis anymore. However, thanks to their enduring dedication, 75 years of Brandeis history, culture and news have been documented, with many more stories yet to unfold. On our campus, there are over a dozen events going on at any given time, with countless new stories to be unearthed. Every publication is an opportunity for us to highlight the remarkable efforts of students and faculty, while also critically investigating the realities of life at Brandeis. Therefore, as we move forward, we do so with a deep appreciation for the efforts of Justice alumni. The 75th anniversary edition serves to both celebrate our achievements and commitment to student journalism and to honor the legacy of perseverance that defines The Justice. 

Finally, this editorial board would like to take the opportunity to thank all of our past, present and future readers for placing your trust in us. We work tirelessly to craft an ethical and reliable publication, and we do not take your ongoing support and confidence in us for granted. Thank you for being a part of our journey, and here’s to many more issues ahead!