“Jury Duty” is a weekly column that spotlights different Brandeis student-athletes. Please email sports@thejustice.org if you would like to nominate someone. We hope to bridge the gap between student-athletes and non student-athletes by highlighting relatable content to make the community feel more approachable. If you see a highlighted athlete around campus, introduce yourself! Or head to Gosman and cheer them on.

Shaniece Nugent ’26, a member of the Brandeis women’s indoor track and field team, was recently honored as one of the Brandeis Judges of the Week for her performance in the Branwen Smith-King Invitational at Tufts University. Nugent brought home two wins for the Judges, with a personal best distance of 11.29 meters (37 feet and ½ inches) and scoring points in the triple jump. This is currently ranked the 23rd-best performance in Division III this season. It was Nugent’s first competitive jump over 11 meters — an incredibly impressive feat. 

She ran the third leg of the 4x200-meter relay, which according to Brandeis Athletics, “won their race by just one-tenth of a second over Tufts with a time of 1:48.32.” The sophomore from Hartford, Connecticut was also a part of the women’s 4x100-meter relay team that broke a record in the spring of 2023 with a time of 49.12 seconds. Nugent carries a lot of prospective power as a jumper and sprinter and continues to lead the track and field team to victory.

Some fun facts about Nugent are that she currently listens to artists such as Little Simz, JPEG MAFIA, Sza, Bktherula and Mitski. Her favorite place to hang out on campus is her Grad and her favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry cheesecake. Her birthday is a very cool coincidence, April 4, 2004 — that’s three fours! Outside of Auerbach Arena, Nugent is the Brandeis Black Student Organization’s secretary and encourages everyone to come to the Feb. 8-11 BLK Homecoming. More details are on @brandeisbso on Instagram. Nugent and the Judges take on Tufts in the Cupid Invitational this Friday, Feb. 2.  Cheer Nugent on by attending her athletic competitions to support her extracurricular endeavors around campus! Go Judges!