On Jan. 27, Brandeis men’s and women’s fencing faced opponents such as Duke University, Haverford College, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Stevens Institute of Technology, New York University and Hunter University in the Eric Sollee Invitational. Over 10 different teams came to Auerbach Arena, and Brandeis emerged overall victorious, with men’s fencing going 5-1 on the day, making their overall record 14-16. The women’s team went 4-2 on the day, making their overall record 13-19.

Standout fencers include top performances from foil fencer Luke Ritchie ’24, who swept NJIT, Stevens, and Duke. This was the very first time since 2015 that Brandeis men’s fencing won against Duke, and the Judges are now ranked number 19 in the United States Fencing Coaches Association standings.

On the women’s team, star power from Maggie Shealy MA’25 going 16-2 in her bouts, Kat Xikes ’26 (sabre) and Bronwyn Rothman-Hall ’25 (epee) propelled the Judges to victory. The Brandeis women’s fencing team is ranked number 25 in the USFCA standings. Shealy’s record advanced to 50-8 this season, and fellow graduate student Ben Rogak MA’24 carried the epee squad to victory.

Saturday was also very special for the fencing graduate students, seniors and juniors graduating early — these included Monica Aponte MA’24, Maggie Shealy MA’25, Ben Rogak MA ’24, Luke Ritchie ’24, Nick Quan ’24, Tal Konrod ’25 and Calla Lee ’25. They marked their senior day and last fencing meet at home with fans and family members coming to watch from all over.

Both individual and squad performances carried the Judges to a decisive victory at home. Brandeis Fencing will next head to North Carolina for the Duke Invitational on Feb. 10.