Led by Hunter Levine ’23 and Dylan Walters ’25, the Judges have looked pretty solid this year. After coming back from their California trip in late February, the team has gone half and half — three wins and three losses. Earlier in the season, the team defeated two Division II schools to cement themselves as serious contenders in the New England area. 

Just two years ago, Jeffrey Chen ’22 and Adam Tzeng ’22 reached the NCAA tournament and finished as runners up. This impressive performance put Brandeis Men’s Tennis on the map, and this team is looking to repeat that greatness. Sitting at a record of 7-5, this team will have to pick up some steam if they hope to make a run in the tournament. 

This past week, the Judges squared off against Babson College on March 31 and then traveled to New York University to face the Violets. This cross-town rivalry of Babson and Brandeis was one that the entire country was watching. The #31 ranked Judges hosted the #26 ranked Beavers at the Cordish Tennis Center at Brandeis. 

Judges 2, Beavers 7 

The Judges were able to hold off the Beavers from sweeping during their doubles matches, but struggled to compete in their singles matches. The Beavers led 2-1 after doubles — they won the number one and two seedings. However, the pair Chen Liang ’24 and Alex Merson ’26 were able to secure a win, 8-2, in the third seed to keep the Judges in competition. Brandeis was able to split the next two single matches after Levine won at the sixth seed. However, with the Judges losing the remaining five matches, Babson was able to clinch an easy victory. This result pushed the Judges to 6-5 and gifted the Beavers a 9-1 record.  

Judges 6, Violets 3

Coming off a tough loss vs. Babson, the team was hungry to get back in the winning column. After some decisive wins, the Judges were able to secure their second UAA win over the Violets. Tommy Harrison ’26 and Walters won at the one seed with a strong 8-1 victory. The doubles sweep continued when Simon Kauppila ’23 and Levine won at the second seed and Liang and Merson at three. Walters and Harrison  secured their second wins of the day when they won their singles matches at the one seed 6-3, 6-4, and the two seed 6-1, 6-3, respectively. Harrison’s win secured the day, and Liang won at the five seed for the team’s sixth point. Coming close to a .500 record on the season, Brandeis needed this win to keep their tournament hopes alive — winning against a league rival just made the day better. 

The team will welcome Trinity College to Waltham on Thursday, April 6 and then will travel to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology the next day to challenge the Engineers. While there are still five more matches in the season, the team will look to pull away from the pack and identify themselves as New England’s cream of the crop. Come out to the Cordish Tennis center to support the boys in blue and white!