This past Friday, Nov. 5, the men’s and women’s varsity soccer teams faced off against New York University in their final games. As the last home match of the season, both teams honored their seniors and graduate students whose careers were coming to an end. The men’s team honored Max Blacker, Aiden Guthro, Isaac Mukula, Josh Gans, Forrest Shimazu, Khalil Winder, and Sammy Guttell. The women’s team honored Jessica Murawsky, Bailey Cullen, Juliette Carreiro, Makenna Hunt, Jess Herman, Morgan Clark, Meaghan McDonough, Sabrina Salov, Caroline Swan, and Ruby Siegel. Both teams fought to the end, but unfortunately, they fell short of securing a win to cap off the season.

Men’s Judges 0, Violets 3

After a hard-fought battle against the No. 1 University of Chicago, the Judges were in for a fight against NYU, who had just tied the undefeated team. They entered the match 1-5 UAA, and 6-7-2 overall with hopes to secure one more win.

The first half was relatively equal, with both sides getting shots and opportunities off. However, the Violets were able to put a goal away right before halftime. In the last minutes of the half, they found the back of the net off a cross. In the second half, NYU put away the game when they made sure to put their second goal away early in the 50th minute. They would later secure their win in the 84th minute with a shot to the lower-right corner. 

NYU outshot Brandeis with a 14-10 advantage, 7-1 shots on goal. The Judges did edge the Violets on corner kicks 3-1, but they were unable to capitalize on these opportunities. The Judges ended their season 1-6-0 UAA, and 6-8-2 overall. 

Women’s Judges 2, Violets 3

Looking to land their first UAA win, the Judges were unable to secure their lead ahead of the Violets and conceded two goals in the second half. Brandeis entered the match 7-7-2 overall, 0-5-1 UAA conference.

The Violets opened up the scoring in the 17th minute, taking the early lead. However, the Judges answered back in the 35th minute when Caroline Swan ’23 scored off a corner kick directly. They continued to fight hard and in the 59th minute, a penalty kick was called. Swan took the kick, and although there was an initial save, senior Juliette Carreiro was there to put the ball away. 

However, Brandeis couldn’t keep their lead and only seven minutes later, NYU found the back of the net. In the 74th minute, NYU secured their win with a goal off a free kick. The Judges were unable to clear the ball out of the book, and the Violets capitalized. NYU held the shooting advantage throughout the game 18-13, outshooting the Judges, especially in the second half 12-6. Although the Judges had the advantage in corner kicks 4-3, all four came in the first half. On the other hand, NYU had their three in the second half contributing to their offensive pressure when trying to regain the lead.

With Carreiro scoring her ninth goal of the season and 25th career goal, she is one of 14 players to hit this milestone. She will also finish ninth in the rankings with a career total of 71 points. Swan’s assist was the 17th of her career and ties her to sixth on Brandeis’s career list. Her goal also marked a career-high of three goals in a season. With the loss, Brandeis ends their season 7-8-2 overall and 0-6-1 UAA.

—Editor’s note: Editor Aiden Guthro is a member of the men’s soccer team. He did not contribute to or edit this article.