While at home, the women’s soccer team led the non-conference game with offensive opportunities against Emerson University this past Saturday. However, after scoring in the first quarter of the game, both teams remained scoreless for the rest of the game with a hard-fought battle on the Judges' part. They entered the game with a record of 3-2, all outside of conference. Meanwhile, the nationally ranked #15 Judges men’s soccer team fell against Wesleyan University on Saturday as well. Entering the match off a win over #22 nationally ranked Babson College, the men’s team had a record of 2-1-1 with all non-conference play.

Women’s Soccer

Judges 1, Lions 1

The Judges came back to host at Gordon Field after playing away at Clark University earlier in the week. After both teams scored early goals, the Judges controlled the game offensively but could not capitalize on their opportunities. With the tie, the Judges move to a 3-2-1 record and hopefully look to secure some wins before conference play begins. 

The scoring started off almost instantaneously when in the first plays of the game, the Lions found an opportunity to get past the Judges’ defense. Emerson’s Gina Lukoskie put a ball into the box for Judges goalie Hannah Bassan ’25 to challenge. However, the ball was put away by Brittney Righetti to give the Lions an early lead.

The Judges found their equalizing goal in the 13th minute when a foul in the Brandeis defensive zone occurred. A long ball by centerback Rachel Watler ’25 was put over the top and through the ranks of the Lions defense. Juliette Carreiro ’23 was at the receiving end after making a run, and ultimately put her shot away at the far post. This marked her 20th career goal and her fourth of the season in six games.  

Although the Judges led the game in shots on goal (8-4) and corner kicks (7-0), in the end they were unable to create another goal. Centerback Morgan Collins ’25 had an opportunity on a rebound off the crossbar in the 31st minute, but hit it just over. Emerson’s defense played hard, stopping a shot that Carreiro had gotten past the keeper in the 59th minute and clearing it off the goal line. The women’s team will look ahead to playing at Bridgewater State University on Sept. 20. . 

Men’s Soccer

Judges 0, Cardinals 3

The Judges traveled to Middletown, Connecticut, to play the Wesleyan Cardinals and attempted to build on the momentum from their win against Babson. However, the Judges struggled to place shots on goal in the first half and their offensive push at the end of the second half wasn’t enough. With the loss, the Judges fall to 2-2-1 ahead of conference play in two weeks. 

The Judges and the Cardinals were evenly matched for most of the first half, but Brandeis could not hold off Wesleyan’s attack in the end. In the 35th minute, Cardinal Zach Wheeler, scored off a corner kick. With only one shot on target in the first half, the Judges could not gain their footing on offensive drives and ended the half down a goal. 

In the second half, the Judges put up a fight with six shots on goal, but they couldn’t stop the Cardinals from adding to their lead. Sancho Maroto Tobias ’23 came away with two shots on goal but could not get past the Cardinal keeper. In the 60th and 77th minute, the Cardinals scored twice off crosses to secure their win with the final score 0-3. Brandeis was also edged out on corner kicks,with Wesleyan coming away with 8 to the Judges’ 5. With 21 shots on goal, Captain Aiden Guthro ’23 tied his career high of 14 saves. The Judges will look to get back on track when they travel to Wheaton College on Wednesday, Sept. 21. 

—Editor’s note: Editorial Assistant Aiden Guthro is a captain of the Judges men’s soccer team and did not contribute to the writing or editing of this article.