Brandeis University welcomed three new members to its Board of Trustees, President Ron Lebowitz announced in an email to students, faculty, and staff on Aug. 26. Dr. Marjorie H. Hass, Leonard X. Rosenberg ’89, and Jay S. Ruderman ’88 H’18 began their appointment to the Board in early August. Board members oversee all management and policies of the University. 

Hass is the current president of the Council of Independent Colleges. She is the council's first female president since its inception in 1956, according to CIC's press release in March of 2021. Before this, Hass served as the president of Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee, where she was again the first woman and first Jewish person to hold the position. Hass spent 16 years at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where she held numerous roles, including director of the Center for Ethics, vice president of student affairs, and finally, provost. Following her time at Muhlenberg, Hass served as the president of Austin College in Sherman, Texas. She has bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees in philosophy from the University of Illinois. 

Rosenberg is currently a partner in Mayer Brown LLP in California, where he leads the cross-border real estate practice. Rosenberg plays an active role in alumni leadership circles, serving as the president of the Brandeis University Alumni Association of Northern California, Alumni Association co-vice president, Development Committee chair, and a member of the Campaign Working Group. He graduated cum laude from Brandeis and received a law degree from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. Rosenberg is listed in "America's Best Lawyers." 

Ruderman is the current president of the Ruderman Family Foundation, which works towards greater inclusion of people with disabilities and to bridge a connection between Israel and the American Jewish diaspora. Prior to his presidency at the Foundation, Ruderman served as Assistant District Attorney and then enlisted in the Israeli Defense Forces as a liaison between the IDF and the Jewish diaspora. He then became the leadership director of the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee. Ruderman serves on the board of multiple Jewish-American organizations. He and his wife, Shira, were named one of the Jerusalem Post's “50 Most Influential Jews” in 2016 and labeled the "Boston-based power couple." Ruderman graduated from Brandeis University and received his JD from Boston University School of Law. 

“I am eager to begin my work with these individuals as we make progress on our institutional priorities and long-term aspirations,” Liebowitz concluded.