To undergo an offseason as an NFL fan is an anxiety-inducing, 29-week drought until the start of the regular season. Each day is filled with instability: the madness of the free-agency period, a sudden breaking news tweet from the all-knowing Adam Schefter, a star player being traded, a long-time veteran retiring, or players being released from their teams. Luckily for us, September is here, and the stability of our beloved football is back. 

The NFL kicked off their 103rd season last Thursday, Sept. 8, with the defending Super Bowl LVI champion the Los Angeles Rams hosting on their home turf against a star-studded Buffalo Bills lineup. With both of these teams featuring some of the league’s best young talent — and coming into the season as Super Bowl favorites in their respective conferences — expectations were high heading into the first game of the season.

However, the Bills came into SoFi Stadium and put the Rams’ championship celebration to rest. Bills quarterback Josh Allen continued his streak of dominance from last season. After an underwhelming first half performance, throwing two interceptions, Allen found his stride in the latter half of the match-up. He ended the game throwing for 297 yards through the air and rushing for 56 yards on the ground, connecting on 26 of his 31 passing attempts. Allen’s heroics accounted for four total touchdowns. Additionally, the receiving tandem of Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis shined, putting up monstrous numbers of 122 yards and 88 yards, respectively, along with a touchdown for each. 

The Rams, on the other hand, fell flat. Quarterback Matthew Stafford struggled throughout the night, throwing for 240 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions. A lone bright spot was wide receiver Cooper Kupp, who demonstrated why he is the reigning Super Bowl MVP, catching 13 receptions while receiving 128 yards and a touchdown. This loss puts the Rams under .500 for the first time under Head Coach Sean Mcvay’s six seasons with the team. 

Ultimately, the Bills dominated the Rams 31-10, cementing their first win in their quest for a championship that has eluded their franchise since their inception. The Bills will try to build on this win in Buffalo next Monday as they host the Tennessee Titans. Meanwhile, the Rams will look to put their first win on the board as they host the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.