The Union Senate chartered two new clubs and approved a new by-law amendment related to voting at its Nov. 15 meeting.

The by-law amendment, which was proposed by Sen. Joseph Coles ’22, would require that a link to candidate bios be sent out with the ballot, so that students have easy access to it while voting. The Senate will vote on the measure next week.

The Brandeis Quantitative Finance and Modeling Club, or “Quant,” gave a presentation on their club and asked the Senate to charter them. Ephraim Zimmerman ’25, the President and co-founder of Quant, said that the club is intended to be an “introduction to financial markets,” though it is not an investing club.

Zimmerman said that Quant is an applied math club with real world examples and projects, the application in this case being to the financial sector.

After the presentation, multiple senators expressed confusion over Quant’s purpose. “If they can’t explain [the club] to us, they can’t explain it to the student body,” Coles said.

Sen. Skye Liu ’23 explained her interpretation of Quant. “The idea is that if you know enough math, you can make predictions on the stock market for companies like JP Morgan Chase,” she said.

“We’re supposed to have inclusive clubs and this is too high level,” Liu continued. “I don’t think undergraduate students have the knowledge, the skill and the ability to participate” in Quant.

The Senate decided that Quant should refine its presentation for clarity and return to present next week.

Herbicide Free Brandeis returned to request that the Senate charter them, since two weeks ago the Senate had asked the club to return with a clearer presentation.

Gabriel Torres Houser ’23, one of HFB’s fellows, presented on the club’s purpose, which he said is to “push Brandeis not to use synthetic herbicides, and commit to a transition” to organic land care. The Senate voted to charter HFB by acclamation.

Brandeis Volleyball Club President Hannah Summers ’23 requested that the Senate charter her club. She said that the club is for people interested in playing volleyball for fun rather than as part of a varsity team. The Senate voted to charter the Volleyball Club by acclamation.

The Brandeis Undergraduate Consulting Club was listed on the week’s agenda, but did not attend.