The Brandeis Judges men’s and women’s Soccer teams both hosted at Gordon Field for their last home games of the season. Sunday’s games marked Senior Day, with it being the last time the seniors will step onto the field. With two University Athletic Association games up for grabs, the weekend marked an instrumental opportunity for the women’s team to secure a place in the tournament. For the men, it was a way to close out in style. The women’s team entered with a record of 8–4–2, 1–3 UAA and the men with 4–7–2 and 1–2–1 UAA.

Women’s Soccer

Judges 1, Eagles 0

Continuing their win streak, the Judges hosted the Emory University Eagles at home on Gordon Field Friday night. Controlling the game offensively, the Judges outshot the Eagles 17–10 but struggled to put more into the back of the net. With the win, the Judges advanced to a record of 9–4–2, 2–3 in the UAA. The Eagles fell to 11–4–1, 2–3 UAA. 

The game-winning goal came in the first half during the 30th minute. Senior Juliette Carreiro dribbled towards the box and lofted the ball into the box for a service. Caroline Swan ’23 was there to put it away as she redirected it into the goal. The goal was Swan’s second of the season and Carreiro’s eighth assist. 

There were opportunities in the second half for both teams. First-year Hannah Bassan had a clean sheet and made the game her third shutout of the season. The win marked a four-win streak and snapped the 10 game winless streak against Emory dating back to 2009.  

HEADS UP: Juliette Carreiro '22 runs for the airborne ball against the Emory University Eagles on October 29.

Judges 2, Yellowjackets 1

In style, the Judges sent off the senior class with another home win and a UAA game to cap it off. With the win, the Judges improve to a 10–4–2 record overall and 3–3 UAA. The University of Rochester Yellowjackets fell to 6–5–4, 0–3–3 UAA. 

In the first half, the Judges took the charge by scoring first. In the 24th minute, Sydney Lenhart ’24 crossed it across the 18-yard box to her waiting teammates. Fellow sophomore Yasla Ngoma set it for senior Daria Bakhtiari ’22 to tap it in an empty net. This marked her 7th goal of the season.

However, the Yellowjackets came back early in the second half with a goal a little past the first minute. After an initial save by Bassan, the Yellowjackets were there to put it away off the rebound. The opportunity to score the game-winner came in the 64th minute. With a cross by Ngoma to Carreiro, she was able to find the back of the net for her 6th of the season. Outhsooting the Yellowjackets, the Judges had 22 shots to 13, but could not secure another clean sheet. 

Before the start of their final home game, Brandeis honored its seniors. The graduating seniors include Kari Wismar, Juliette Carreiro, Lauren Mastandrea,  Ashley Pettet, Makenna Hunt, Daria Bakhtiari, Sabrina Salov, Ali LaPioli and Beck Gold.

Men’s Soccer

Judges 3, Eagles 2

The Judges beat the #13 Emory University Eagles for yet another upset win on Friday night. In overtime, the Judges rallied to overtake the Eagles, with three scoring their first career goals, two seniors included. The Judges improved to 5–7–2 overall and 2–2–1 UAA. On the other hand, the Eagles fell to 8–2–4, 2–1–2 UAA. 

Brandeis took the lead with a goal in the 15th minute thanks to senior Skylah Dias. With his first start of the season and his first career goal, he found the goal on a one-on-one with the Eagles’ keeper. Fellow senior Jared Panson  made the cross and assist for his first of the season. The first half remained scoreless besides the Judges’ goal, as Aiden Guthro ’23 kept his half clean. 

In the second half, the Eagles were able to score a goal in the 77th minute. An Eagles player shook free of his defenders and blasted a goal past Guthro to tie the game. 

With a change in strategy and 15 minutes left, the Judges sent the opposing defense into the attacking zone while the Judge’s offense pushed on. This game plan paid off in the 87th minute when Isaac Mukala ’22 dribbled past the Emory defender, scored and tied the game. 

The tie sent the teams into overtime where both goalies fought hard to prevent goals by their opponents until finally in the 96th minute, Brandeis’ Eli Mones ’25 scored the game-winning goal. Senior Michael Burch had the assist as he laid off a simple ball for Mones to finish. The Judges managed to win the game despite being outshot, 31–13. 

DRIBBLIN': Judges’ Sammy Guttell '22 contemplates a pass during the October 29 game against the Emory Eagles.

Judges 0, Yellowjackets 0

This Sunday, the Judges tied the University of Rochester Yellowjackets for a score of 0–0 after double overtime. This game brought the Judges to 5–7–3 overall and 2–2–2 in the UAA. 

In the first half of the game, the Judges were outshot by their opponents 6–2. In this half, Guthro made two of his six saves of the day. In the second half, the Judges took off, outshooting the Yellowjackets 20–6. Although they had many opportunities, they couldn’t put it away and were stopped by the Rochester goalie. 

Before the start of their final home game, Brandeis honored its seniors. The graduating seniors include Evan Glass, Michael Burch, Jake Davis, Jared Panson, Isaac Mukala, Noah Gans, Skylah Dias, Tim Bombeli and Sammy Guttell.

Upcoming Schedule

With this past weekend wrapping up the last of the home games, the last game for both the men’s and women’s teams will be away at New York University. On Saturday, Nov. 6, the women’s team will face NYU at 12:00 p.m. Right after, the men’s team will face off against #15 NYU at 1:30 p.m. This will conclude both the overall season and the UAA season.