The Brandeis Judges finished off their season in the best way possible, winning both the men’s and women’s games against New York University. The women’s team entered the game against NYU with a record of 10–4–2, 3–3 University Athletic Association, ranked #20 in the country. The men’s team came in with a record of 5–7–3, 2–2–2 in the UAA. 

Women’s Soccer

Judges 2, Bobcats 1

The Judges traveled to Gaelic Park in Riverdale, NY to defeat the New York University Bobcats. With the win, their record improves to 11–4–2 and 4–3 UAA to finish off the season. It also secured their ticket to the NCAA tournament. Offensively stronger, the Judges put five more shots on target and were able to convert corner kicks into goals. 

The scoring opened up in the 25th minute when the Judges took control. Caroline Swan ’23 on a corner found Sydney Lenhart ’24 waiting in the box. Blasting it past the goalie, it was Lenhart’s fourth of the season and Swan’s fifth assist. 

In the second half, the Judges added an insurance goal in the 50th minute that proved to be integral. On another corner kick by Lauren Mastandrea ’22, she was able to find her teammate, Ruby Siegel ’23. With a header to put it away, it was Siegel’s first goal of the season. However, NYU closed down a chance of a shutout in the 64th minute when their forward scored off one-on-one with Brandeis rookie goalie Hannah Bassan ’25. The Judges finished off the game strong to secure the win. 

MSoccer 10.31.21 AY 0127.jpg
WINGSPAN: Jared Panson '22 aims to send the ball down the field during the October 31 match against Rochester.

Men’s Soccer

Judges 1, Bobcats 0

The Judges closed out the season on a high note with an away win against NYU. With the win, the Judges finished with a 6–7–3 record and 3–2–2 UAA. Despite being outshot 7-15 by the Bobcats, the Judges found the back of the net to secure the win. 

Early in the game, the Judges put the game away with a goal in the 10th minute. Jared Panson ’22 took the corner for the Judges and connected with his classmate, Jake Davis ’22 for the goal. Davis scored, jumping over the defenders with an overarching header to put it away.

The Judges end their season in fourth place in the UAA. Goalkeeper Aiden Guthro ’23 was honored with the Division III National Player of the Week by United Soccer Coaches. Leading the UAA with 72 saves, he holds a .818 save percentage. 

Upcoming Schedule

This past weekend concluded the men’s 2021-2022 soccer season. The women’s team qualified for the NCAA Division III tournament and will play the first round against Farmingdale State. This Saturday, Nov. 13 at 1:30 p.m., the Judges will travel to Cambridge, MA, as MIT hosts the first and second round.