The Brandeis Women’s soccer team took a break from the University Athletic Association to play two non-conference games. Facing Bridgewater State University at home and Springfield College away, it was an opportunity to improve their record and inch towards qualifying for the NCAA tournament. The women’s team came into the week with a 6-4-2 record and a 1-3 for the UAA conference. 

Women’s Soccer

Judges 2, Bears 1

Back home at Gordon Field after being on the road, the Judges defeated Bridgwater St. Bears with a quick response. The win brought them to an overall record of 7-3-2, and the Bears fell to 5-6-1. Outshooting the Bears by 24 shots to 5 shots, Brandeis controlled offensively. However, they were struggling to put one on goal in the first half with four shots on target and no goals. The first half ended scoreless and the Judges, frustrated. 

However, in the second half, the Judges bounced back right away early. Juliette Carreiro ’22 was taken down from behind in the penalty box. As a result, fellow senior Daria Bakhtiari ’22 was able to put away the resulting penalty kick to make the score 1-0. The goal was her 6th goal of the season, and the play was only 10 minutes into the half. 

Later in the half, the Bears equalized after a turnover in the midfield in the 71st minute. One of the Bridgewater forwards hit a ball from about 20 yards out, right under the crossbar and into the goal. Brandeis was quick to stop any momentum when less than a minute later; Carreiro sent in a cross from the left. Morgan Clark ’23 was able to strike it in the goal on the right side for her first goal of the season. 

Judges 4, Pride 1

Continuing the momentum, the Judges were able to win their last non-conference game while away at Springfield College. Taking control of the game with 19 shots and 12 on goal, they put away the game and added in some insurance goals as well. With their win, the Judges’ record improves to 8-4-2, while the Pride’s fall to 6-6-2. 

The Judges took the lead early in the game when forward Makenna Hunt ’22 scored just less than 5 minutes in the first half. Off a cross from Clark, the goal marked Hunt’s fourth of the season and Clark’s first assist. Carreiro was the one to score the game-winning goal at about the 10-minute mark off Clark making it her 5th goal. The Judges ensured their dominance for the first half with one more goal towards the end when Jess Herman ’23 lofted a ball into the goal in the 34th minute. 

Lexi Krobath ’24 scored her first collegiate goal in the 74th minute. Unfortunately, the Judges were unable to keep their shutout when the Pride slipped one in with only two minutes left in the half. Hannah Bassan ’25 and Samantha Scott ’24 helped secure the win with 5 shots on goal blocked between the two of them. Both the wins against Springfield and Bridgewater close out the non-conference season for the Judges.

Upcoming Schedule

After a canceled game that had been planned for Tuesday, Oct. 26th against Johnson & Wales University, the Judges’ women’s team will be playing two UAA games this upcoming weekend. Going into the end of the UAA games, the Judges will battle against #20 Emory University on Friday, Oct. 29 at 5:00 p.m. On Sunday, Oct. 31, they will be facing Rochester University for their last home game at 11:00 a.m.

The men’s team makes their return at home with two UAA games also up for grabs. On Friday, Oct. 29 at 7:30 p.m, the Judges will face off against the #14 Emory University. Finally, for their last home game, they will play Rochester University on Sunday, Oct. 31 at 1:30 pm. Looking for another upset, the Judges have the opportunity to secure important wins against conference rivals.