The Brandeis Judges fell to Case Western Reserve University this past weekend in both men’s and women’s soccer. The women’s team faced the nationally ranked #10 Spartans who had a 10-0-0 record going into the game. With the Judges ranked #25, it was a showdown between two top 25 teams and a University Athletic Association game on the line. Alternatively, the men’s team faced the 6-3-1 Spartans with their 0-1-0 UAA record. The teams duked it out for Brandeis’ Homecoming, which featured the two games, as well as the varsity volleyball and alumni games. 

Women’s Soccer

Spartans 2, Judges 1

The Judges hosted the Spartans for their first conference game at Gordon Field. Despite outshooting the Spartans with a 17-2 overtake, the Judges were unable to score a second goal to match them and fell to a record of 5-3-2, 0-2 UAA. 

In the first half, the Spartans struck first with a goal in the 29th minute. Yet, the Judges outshot the visiting team 9-1 with an offensive push for most of the half. Late in the half, Brandeis was able to put one in the back of the net after winning a corner kick. The Judges’ Caroline Swan ’23 crossed the ball into the box for Yasla Ngoma ’24 to finish it to the back of the net. The goal was Ngoma’s fifth, and Swan’s fourth assist for the season. 

However, early in the second half, the Spartans put away a goal for the game-winner. After a through ball spiltting the backline, a one-on-one put the ball away past Judges' goalie Hannah Bassan ’25. Through the half, Bassan had no stops with the opposite team making nine saves to secure their win. The Spartans’ win broke a seven-game streak for the Judges in their head-to-head matches in previous years. 

WSoccer 10.09.21 JYC 0261.jpg
FAST FEET: Judges’ Juliette Carreiro ’22 moves the ball down the field in a game against Case Western on Oct. 9.

Men’s Soccer

Spartans 2, Judges 0

For the UAA home opener, the Judges hosted CWRU at their home at Gordon Field. The Judges were outshot by the Spartans 9-15 but had more corners, 8-4. However, they fell early in the first half and were unable to equalize in the second. 

The Spartans’ leading scorer, Jacob Hall, put away both goals and secured the win for the Spartans. Off a through ball, he struck it in the net past the goalie, Aiden Guthro ’23, for the first goal. Later in the game toward the end of the second half, Hall put a second one away when he scored off a one-on-one. 

Although Guthro finished the game with five saves, the Judges were unable to break the Spartans’ clean sheet. Senior Michael Burch ’22 came close early in the second half after he hit the post on a fast attack. Ultimately, the Judges fell to a 3-6-2 record and a 0-1-1 UAA record. 

Homecoming 10.09.21 NZ 0131.jpg
KICKIN’ IT: Judges’ Isaac Mukala ’22 dribbles the ball during the game against Case Western this past weekend.

Upcoming Schedule

This coming week, the men are scheduled to face #20 University of Chicago and #9 Washington University in St. Louis on the road. Playing Friday night and Sunday afternoon, the Judges have two UAA games on the line. The women’s team will be facing #7 University of Chicago and #3 Washington University for two tough matchups away on Friday and Sunday.