The Judges opened their season in Florida with five straight wins, as  the team scored 10 runs in five consecutive games for the first time ever.

Judges 14, Eagles 2

The Judges began this  streak on Feb. 17 with a victory over the Elmira College Eagles, getting on the board in all but one inning. First baseman Isaac Fossas ’21 set the tone as the third batter of the game, slugging a two-run home run to left field before the Eagles recorded two outs. Catcher Luke Hall ’21 went four for five and was a home run short of the cycle while pitcher Greg Tobin ’20 earned the win, striking out six opponents in as many innings.

Judges 11, Bobcats 5

It wasn’t much closer the next day against the Bates College Bobcats, as Brandeis again led from the game’s third batter, scoring six runs in the first three innings en route to another comfortable win. Left fielder Sam Nugent ’23 went five for five with three runs scored, while Hall added a home run. Pitcher Tim Lopez ’20 got the win, allowing two runs in five innings while striking out eight.

Judges 11, Eagles 2

On Feb. 19, the Judges trailed the Eagles 2–0 after two innings, but quickly got back on track with three of their own in the third. Brandeis also scored three runs each in the fifth and eighth innings in the effort. Hall went three for five with his second homerun in as many days ,while pitcher Cam Roberts ’22 got the win.

Judges 15, Bobcats 1

The Judges dominated the Bobcats again on Feb. 20, ending the game after seven innings because of a ten run mercy rule in place for the February tournament, according to the Brandeis Athletics website. It was 9–1 in the third inning thanks to a grand slam by right fielder Mike Khoury ’21 and the win went to pitcher Kyle Shedden ’20.

Judges 11, Vikings 5

Brandeis set a program record against the Augusta College Vikings on Feb. 22 with another remarkable offensive display. Second baseman Victor Oppenheimer ’20 was three for five with five runs batted in, and the Judges scored nine of their runs in their first two times up. Tobin earned his second win of the season in six scoreless innings of work.

Gulls 9, Judges 8

In their first game outside of the Sunshine State, it wasn't so sunny for the Judges, as they suffered their first loss of the season in devastating fashion at the Endicott College Gulls. Brandeis scored the game’s first six runs in the third, including a bases-loaded balk. With the score 8–4 entering the bottom of the ninth, it didn’t look like their lack of offense after the third inning would hurt them. Instead, the Gulls hit three straight singles, knocking Judges’ reliever Mason Newman ’21 from the game in favor of pitcher Christian Tejada ’23. Tejada put the tying run on first with a run-scoring walk before a pinch-hit single brought the hosts within a run. After a sacrifice bunt moved the winning run into scoring position, Endicott tied the game on an error by shortstop Drew Michaud ’23.

Polar Bears 8, Judges 2

On March 7, the Judges dropped the first game of a double header against the Bowdoin College Polar Bears in Northborough, MA. Aided by a pair of RBI triples in the second and third innings, Bowdoin jumped out to a 4–0 lead through four innings of the seven-inning contest. Khoury scored a homerun for Brandeis in the sixth to make it 4–1, but the Polar Bears put the game out of reach in their last turn at bat. Shedden took the loss, allowing six runs on seven hits in six-plus innings of work, while striking out six and walking none.

Polar Bears 8, Judges 2

The Judges dropped the second game of the doubleheader by the same score. Starting pitcher Roberts was knocked out of the game in the third inning despite not surrendering an earned run. The first batter of the game reached on an error, followed by a single to give the Polar Bears runners on first and second with nobody out. After a flyout, an RBI double and a strikeout, the Judges had a chance to avoid further damage, but Bowdoin’s Brendan O’Neil hit a homerun with two runnes on bases to make it 4–0. Another error led to two more unearned runs in the third, before a RBI triple from Hall and subsequent sacrifice fly in the fourth accounted for all of the Judges’ scoring.

Judges 13, Golden Bears 1

Brandeis benefitted from a change of Bears in Northborough in their second doubleheader in as many days, this time against the Western New England University Golden Bears. The Judges led 2–1 heading into the bottom of the fifth, when they scored 11 runs and hit homeruns on four consecutive balls in play. A two-out grand slam by Michaud was followed by a walk, and then back-to-back-to-back homeruns by Khoury, Fossas and Hall. Tobin picked up his third win of the season, striking out 13 in a seven inning complete game.

Golden Bears 4, Judges 0

The Judges were shut out for the first time this season in the second game, as three Western New England home runs accounted for all of the scoring. Newman took the loss, allowing all four runs in six innings while amassing three strikeouts. Tejada pitched a scoreless seventh, but the Judges went three for 23 at the plate.

Brandeis, now 6–4, travels to Salem State University on Wednesday before two doubleheaders over the weekend, including their Sunday home opener against Williams College.