Day one of the Gompei Invitational, hosted by Worcester Polytechnic Institute, was a tough day for the Judges, as they were up against some stiff competition. Of the competing teams, some of the real challengers were Bryant College, Merrimack College Women and Bentley University/St. Rose College. Through the first day of events, the Brandeis combined Swimming and Diving team found themselves in 10th place with a total of 555.5 points.

While podium finishes were hard to come by, the Judges displayed their depth as 25 different swimmers contributed points for the team. Brandeis men’s team was led by Tamir Zitelny ’20 who was a part of 184 points on the first day. Zitelny's performance was highlighted by a huge first place finish in the men's 100-yard butterfly race, the only podium appearance of the day for the Judges. A newcomer to the Judges, James Barno ’23, continued his amazing rookie season by having the second most points on the team with 138. Barno, along with Brendon Lu ’22, Daniel Wohl ’21 and Zitelny, finished ninth in the men's 200-yard medley relay. Lu had a solo top-ten finish as well, as he finished seventh in the men's 200-yard breaststroke. Richard Selznick ’22 also had a top 10 result, finishing seventh in the men's 1650-yard freestyle race. By the end of the first day, the men’s team found themselves in eighth place overall with 279 points.

For the women, Bailey Gold ’23 led the Judges with 126 points, including a top-ten performance in 100-yard butterfly, finishing sixth. Teammate Ema Rennie ’23 finished just behind Gold with 124.5 points of her own, highlighted by her own seventh place finish in the Women's 50-yard freestyle. The Judges 200-yard medley relay team of Gold, Rennie, Audre Kim ’21 and Olivia Stebbins ’22 had another top-ten finish for the Judges, as they placing ninth. By the end of the first day, the women’s team found themselves in 10th place overall with 183.5 points.

Day two of the competition produced some individual outstanding performances and some notable group efforts. The Brandeis combined swimming and diving teams remained in 10th place at the end of the day with 1161 points. The men’s team saw Lu have another top 10 finish placing fifth in the men’s 400-yard Individual Medley, Zitelny also placed in the top ten again, finishing fifth in the men's 100-yard backstroke, and Wohl had a top-ten finish, placing fourth in the men’s 200-yard freestyle. The men’s 200-yard freestyle relay team of Marcelo Ohno-Machado’21, Thomas Alger’20, Wohl and Zitelny placed sixth. Barno, Lu, Zitelny and Wohl placed seventh in the men’s 400-yard medley relay. Through the end of the second day the men’s team found themselves still in eighth place overall with 691.5 points.

The women finished eighth in the women’s 200-yard freestyle relay with a team of Gold, Uajda Musaku ’21, Kim and Rennie. In the women’s 400-yard medley relay, Kim, Stebbins, Gold and Rennie placed 10th. Lastly, Rennie placed eighth in the women’s 50-yard butterfly race. By the end of the second day the Brandeis women’s team found themselves still solidly in 10th place overall with 401.5 points.

The third day of the competition concluded the swim meet, with Brandeis' combined swimming and diving teams placing 10th overall with 1645 points. The Judges had their only podium of the day finish from Gold, who placed third in the women’s 200-yard butterfly. 

Individually, on the men’s side, Wohl placed ninth in the men’s 100-yard freestyle and Barno placed fifth in the men’s 200-yard backstroke. In the men’s 400-yard freestyle relay, Selznick, Zitelny, Ohno-Machado and Wohl placed eighth. The competition concluded with the Brandeis men’s team finishing in eighth place overall with 959.5 points.

Individually, on the women’s team, Natalya Wozab ’20 placed ninth in women’s 100-yard individual medley, Stebbins placed 10th in women’s 50-yard breaststroke and Gold placed third in the women’s 200-yard butterfly. Lastly, Kim, Gold, Musaku and Rennie placed eighth in the women’s 400-yard freestyle relay. The competition concluded with the Brandeis women’s team finishing in 10th place overall with 615.5 points.