Student Union President Simran Tatuskar ’21 apologized for her role in breaking down communication within the Union in an email to the Brandeis community on Friday. “I apologize for the role that I played in perpetuating this cycle and want to make it clear that my focus moving forward within the parameters of my role is to ensure that these lines are strengthened via internal restructuring and overall policy changes,” she wrote. 

On Oct. 15, the Union Judiciary ruled against Tatuskar at a hearing brought upon by a complaint from former Union Vice President Guillermo Caballero ’20 as well as Senior Representative to the Board of Trustees Zosia Busé ’20. The Judiciary reported that Tatuskar did not effectively communicate with other members of the Union nor the Union’s branches. They also concluded that Tatuskar “unconstitutionally sidestepped the vice president and executive senator in deciding the role of the executive senator,” according to the Oct. 22 Justice article about the hearing. The Judiciary released its formal opinion on Oct. 18.

At an executive session at the Oct. 27 Senate meeting, the Senate passed a resolution that condemned Tatuskar’s actions, which included a mandate that Tatuskar would have to issue a public apology. At the Nov. 3 Senate meeting, Chief Justice of the Judiciary Rachel Sterling ’21 updated the Union by reporting that the Judiciary received a draft of that apology. She said the Judiciary would be reviewing and discussing the apology by Friday — the day Tatuskar sent it. 

In her email, Tatuskar wrote that she wants to “refocus the purpose of the Student Union on it’s intended nature, which is to help better the student community. The last few weeks and the respective conflicts, have further clarified that our reason for existing is to make life better for YOU all, the Brandeis community.”

Tatuskar wrote that future policies will be focused on ensuring that lines of communication do not break down in the future. She concluded her email by linking to a Google form where students can submit projects they would like to see the Union work on and suggestions for ways they could improve. The form’s description says it is an “On-going yearly form to submit anything you’d like to bring to our attention, no matter how big or how small!” The form explains that this can include issues students have faced with professors, majors, dining, housing and facilities.

—Editor’s Note: Chief Justice of the Judiciary Rachel Sterling is an Arts and Culture Staff Writer.