One of the finalists for the role of Waltham superintendent of schools has unexpectedly withdrawn, according to a Nov. 22 Waltham Patch article.

Waltham Patch reported on Oct. 15 that 19 people had applied for the job of superintendent and that the intended timeline was to choose the finalists by Oct. 27. The article reported that the school committee intended to vote on the superintendent on Dec. 18.

The timeline has been altered due to the withdrawal of a finalist, with the application reopening until Dec. 20, and with the vote now intended for early February, according to the Nov. 22 article.

Waltham Patch reported on Apr. 26 that George Frost would serve as interim superintendent after previous Superintendent of Schools Drew Echelson stepped down. Frost had previously served as administrator of human resources for Waltham Public Schools.

The search committee for the new superintendent includes “three school committee members, two administrators, three faculty members, three parents, two community members, and representative of the special education team and of an English language learner,” according to a June 6 Waltham Patch article.

The new superintendent will oversee the district, as well as the building of the new Waltham High School, which is projected to cost $374 million — the most expensive high school plan in the state — according to a Sept. 10 Waltham Wicked Local article.