One of the two University graduate students stabbed on Sept. 23 has been released from the hospital and the other “is recovering well” according to a Sept. 26 email sent to the Brandeis community by University President Ron Liebowitz. 

The incident took place on Wheelock Road near campus around 1 a.m. The victims’ names will not be released for privacy reasons, although a press release from the Waltham Police Department reported that both students are female. 

The suspect, a 16-year-old Waltham resident, has been charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a deadly weapon, according to Waltham Police. His name is being withheld because he is a minor and case proceedings will not be open to the public. Police say the motive for the attack is still under investigation but it appears to have been a random act. 

Waltham Police responded to an emergency call on Wheelock Road at 1:37 a.m. where they found the two victims. Officers then responded to a report of “a party covered in blood breaking into a car” on Highland Street at 3:24 a.m. and determined it was “likely related to the earlier incident.” At 5:13 a.m. police identified the suspect and placed him in custody. 

In response to the incident, Liebowitz said in the email that both Brandeis Public Safety and Waltham Police have increased patrols. Public Safety plans to hire a night lieutenant and an additional daytime officer and to contact off-campus landlords to ensure that buildings are secure and well lit. Liebowitz also encouraged students to register to receive updates from the Brandeis Emergency Notification System. 

Liebowitz also reiterated that counseling services and support are available, and that he was “heartened” by the way students have supported each other through this challenging time.