The Judges’ men’s soccer team won at home on Sunday against Washington University in Saint Louis before hitting the road to beat Springfield College on Wednesday afternoon.  

Judges 3, WashU 0

Last Sunday, the Judges got off to a fast start, going two goals up inside the opening five minutes before sealing the match with a third late in the second half.  Despite the victory, Brandeis was outshot by the WashU Bears 20–12 and only had three of the game’s nine corners.  Still, they were on the more clinical side, putting five shots on target while WashU only managed to aim four of their efforts on frame, all saved by Greg Irwin ’20.  WashU was caught offside five times to only one for the Judges, and committed 15 fouls while the hosts were whistled for eight.  Each team picked up one yellow card late in the second half.

In the third minute of play, Max Breiter ’20 was the only target for a Dylan Henessy ’20 cross, but still managed to send a looping header just over the goalkeeper and under the crossbar.  Shortly after, a poor clearance by the Bears set up Will DeNight ’23 just outside the 18-yard box.  DeNight put the ball onto his right foot and fired into the back of the net to the goalkeeper’s left.  The freshman striker now has the most goals and points in the University Athletic Association, according to the Brandeis Athletics Website. 

The two goals came at exactly 2:22 and 4:44 of the first half, respectively.  Two goals down, WashU had a good response and were the more attacking team for the rest of the first half and into the second, and threatened to create an exciting finish before a superb individual goal by Elias Norris ‘23. Norris was first to a loose pass by the visitors, before making a run from the left side of defense all the way to the edge of the opposite penalty box, unleashing a curling strike just inside the post and sealing the result for the home side.

Judges 2, Springfield 0

On Wednesday, two quickfire goals from Breiter would be the difference, as goalkeeper Irwin made nine saves. Despite entering the contest at 4–9–1 for the season, the Springfield College Pride held a slight statistical edge over the course of the match. Shots were even at 15 apiece while the hosts had a 9-–8 advantage in shots on goal. Springfield had four corners while the Judges only had one, and the Pride was guilty on all four occasions when the offside flag was raised. Brandeis committed six fouls and was on the receiving end of 10 by their opponents in a game that was free of yellow cards.

Breiter scored unassisted in the 22nd minute of play before completing his brace three minutes later, this time helped on by DeNight, with whom Breiter is now tied for the UAA lead in goals and points.  Despite Springfield keeping Irwin busy, that would be all the scoring for the afternoon, as the Judges improved to 9–3–4 for the season.

Season Summary

Brandeis is now 6–1–3 over their last 10 games, having conceded two goals in their most recent 670 minutes of action.  The Judges are now averaging 1.5 goals and 15 shots per game over the course of the season.  Now 2–1–1 and in third place in the UAA, they will likely need to win all three remaining games to have an outside chance at a conference title, and most likely will hope for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.  With only conference games left, the Judges head to Atlanta on Friday to take on Emory University before a trip to the University of Rochester on Sunday.  The regular season will conclude at home against New York University on Nov. 9.