Women’s team

The Brandeis women’s soccer team lost on Sept. 17 to the Tufts University Jumbos by a score of 2–0 at Gordon Field, after struggling to create scoring chances up front.  The Jumbos’ goals came exactly 45:00 apart in the 37th and 82nd minutes from Sophie Lloyd ’21 and Liz Reed ’21. Outshot 18 to 11, and nine to four in efforts on target, Brandeis was still in the game until the Jumbos put the game out of reach eight minutes from time.

After a fairly even opening half hour with a few chances at both ends, Lloyd fired the 18th ranked Jumbos into the lead from the top of the 18 yard box after being picked out nicely by Reed. The Judges had some runs going forward, mostly through Juliette Carreiro ’22, but despite a number of half chances and crosses in front of goal, never came notably close to equalizing. They were still pushing until Lloyd turned provider and Reed’s shot was reached by Richardson, only for the ball to clatter off the inside of the post and into the net. Before that, the Judges had an injury scare in the second half of the game when Carreiro came off second best in a head-to-head collision, but was able to return to the game despite spending a while on the turf. Overall, it was a fair result, as some determined defending from the now number #13 Division III ranked Jumbos who kept the Judges’ attack at bay all afternoon.

Brandeis got back to their winning ways on Sept. 21 at the weekend away to the Lasell University Lasers, thanks largely to a brace by Makenna Hunt ’22. The Judges outshot the host Lasers 19–9 and were two goals to the good in the 9th minute of play after Hunt’s 8th minute opener was succeeded by a finish from Daria Bakhtiari ’21 48 seconds later. Ruby Siegel ’23 scored from the corner of Caroline Swan ’23 just after the break, and Hunt concluded the rout with an impressive finish in the 66th. 

Brandeis is back in action at home on Gordon Field on Sept. 24 against the Wellesley College Blue as they look to build on an encouraging 5–2–0 start to the season.

Men’s team

Honors were even at Western New England University Golden Bears after a thrilling encounter that saw six balls cross the goal line but only four count for goals. Shots were 16–14 in favor of the Judges while both sides managed seven attempts on frame. The Golden Bears, entering the match at 5–1–0,opened the scoring from the spot in the 10th minute, only for the Judges to turn it all the way around before halftime. Jared Panson ’22 scored his second consecutive goal for the Judges from Michael Burch ’22 in the 20th while Adam Kulick ’23 pounced on Panson’s rebound two minutes later to open his Brandeis account. The hosts equalized from a set piece on the hour mark and that would be all the scoring for regulation time. 

In the first period of overtime, the Judges had a goal chalked off for offside, one of eight occasions on which they found themselves in such a position, before the Golden Bears had one of their own ruled out for handball. Brandeis, now 3–2–2 on the season, plays next away against the Wheaton College Lyons on Tuesday before concluding their four match run of road fixtures next weekend against the Mitchell College Mariners.