The Brandeis women’s volleyball team began their season in matches on Friday against three non-University Athletic Association teams. This season brings the fresh talent of three rookies who have the potential to contribute to the success of the program, though they are currently off to a mixed start of one win and two losses. Heading into their next matchup against DeSales University on Friday, the team’s goal is to break their new two-game losing streak. 

Judges 0, Springfield 3

The Judges were incapable of pulling out a win against Springfield College in any of the sets. Although the Judges came into the match with a good-faith effort, they were unable to conquer the Pride, who had an outstanding defense. In fact, according to the Brandeis Athletics site, the Pride outhit the Judges .323 to .058. In addition, Springfield made 11 blocks, six more than the Judges’ five. On top of that, the Judges only came away with only 36 digs, while the Pride had 49. 

While the Judges lost each of their matches 25–20, 25–11 and 25–20, there were some individual achievements at play. Middle hitters Belle Scott ’21 and Kaisa Newburg ’22 each led the team with seven kills. Emma Bartlett ’20 and Marissa Borgert ’21 each led the team with eight digs, and Bartlett also contributed five blocks. Borgert contributed 18 assists and three service aces. In the end, Scott was named to the All-Tournament team, an impressive distinction.

Judges 1, Keene State 2

The next day, the Judges also lost to Keene State University, but this time, they were able to win their first set. Unfortunately, they were unable to keep the momentum moving headed into the subsequent sets. In the first set, the Judges conquered 25–20, when after an 11-all tie, the Judges went on a 7–4 run and crushed the Owls. However, during the second set, the Owls scored the first four points, and despite the Judges leading by one point 12–11, they were unable to maintain any sort of lead to win the set.

In the third set, the Judges initially led as well with a score of 12–9, but here the Owls scored six points in a row, leading to Keene State establishing their lead. This set had a close finish, though, of 25–22. In the final set, the Owls had the longest run of the match when they scored a consistent nine points. 

Judges 3, Westfield State 0

Later the same day, the Judges were a force to be reckoned with in their first match of the season against Westfield State University in the Springfield College classic. The team was victorious in all three sets, with set scores of 25–22, 25–22 and 25–17.

Scott led Brandeis in these sets with a career-high of 11 kills, the first time she made it to the double digits in her career. In addition, Scott had two aces, one block and eight digs. Bartlett also was an important player of the team with nine kills, five aces, eight digs and five blocks. Borgert was essential in this win as well with 33 assists.