The Brandeis men’s soccer team won two exciting and close games this past week. On Sept. 4, Brandeis played the Clark University Cougars at Granger Field in Worcester, MA and won by a score of 2–1. This brought the Judges to a season score of 2–1.

The game started with a scoreless first half with the two teams continually trading scoring opportunities. The Judges had nine shots on goal to the Cougar’s two, though neither team could convert those shots into scores. Finally, in the second period at 54:46, Noah Gans ’21, with an assist by Dylan Hennessy ’20, scored the game’s first goal. This was Gans’ first goal of the season and his fifth collegiate goal. Just as the game looked like it was over and the Judges would have earned the shutout, some chippy play occurred in the Judges defensive zone and three yellow cards were handed out. The Judges’ players, Max Breiter ’20 and Gans each received a yellow card, and the Cougars’ Evan Jurkowski ’20 received the other. Then, as play resumed with a free kick by Trevor Sheridan ’20, Sheridan connected with Jurkowski to score and tie the game. The game then continued into overtime with a scoreless first overtime period. However, 59 seconds into the second overtime, at 100:59, Breiter, with an assist from Colin Panarra ’20, scored for the Judges, ending the game. Brandeis outshot Clark 18–6; this includes a 3–0 advantage in overtime and 9–3 shots on goal. 

On Sept. 7, Brandeis played the Babson College Beavers at home on Gordon Field and won by a score of 2–1, bringing the Judges to overall season record of 3–1. This was the 67th time these two rivals have played, dating back to 1955, and the Judges are 27–30–10 against the Beavers. The first score of the game came at 25:02 from Liam Hanlon ’22 and was assisted by Youcef Zaid ’20 for the Beavers. This was Hanlon’s first goal of the season. However, it wasn't much later that Will DeNight ’23 for the Judges scored with an assist from Dylan Hennesssy ’20 at 36:06, tying the game. 

Very early in the second period, the Judges were able to end the tie when Jake Warren ’20, with an assist from Adam Kulick ’23 at 48:47, scored what would end up being the winning goal. Throughout the rest of the second period, the two teams traded scoring opportunities, but neither prevailed. Brandeis outshot Babson 18–9 with 9–6 shots on goal. Goalie Greg Irwin ’20 for the Judges had five saves in the game.

In an interview with the Justice, sophomore Noah Gans explained, “We all have a bad taste in our mouths after last season, and this offseason has felt like an eternity. So what I’m most excited for is just to get back on the field with the guys and compete against somebody other than ourselves. It's an opportunity to right the ship, and I’m pumped for it."

The Judges are now 5–2 in the last seven games against the Beavers, and this is the second straight 2–1 victory at home in the series. In addition, nine of the last 11 games between these two teams has been decided by a single goal.

The Judges return to action on Wednesday, Sept. 11 where they will be at home on Gordon Field to face the Worcester Polytechnic Institute Goats at 7 p.m.. Then, on Saturday, Sept. 14, the Judges will travel to Medford, MA to face the Tufts University Jumbos at 7 p.m.