This past weekend, the Brandeis volleyball team suffered three lossess at the Connecticut College/U.S. Coast Guard Invitational held in New London, CT. Though the Judges fought hard and did not give way any easy points to their opponents, they just were not able to ultimately pull off a win.

The Judges’ opening match on Sept. 6 was against the DeSales University Bulldogs. After losing the first two sets to the Bulldogs by identical scores of 25–18, the Judges bounced back and won the third 25–22. During this win, the Judges had a hitting percentage of .308 which included 15 kills, three errors and 39 total attempts. They looked like they were on fire, but unfortunately could not hold to this hot streak, and they lost the fourth set to the Bulldogs by a score of 25–21. Overall, Belle Scott ’21, a middle hitter for the Judges, led the attack with 12 kills and six errors in 44 attempts and had a .136 hitting percentage. Middle hitter/right side hitter Kaisa Newberg ’22 had nine kills, two away from a career best, and tied her career best with a match-high six block assists. On the defense, outside hitter Amelia Oppenheimer ’23 was a standout and led the way with 16 digs. As a first year, Oppenheimer will be a player to watch in the future. In addition, Maddie LaMont ’22, Hannah Saadon ’21 and Marissa Borgot ’21 all had career highs. 

On Sept. 7, the Judges pushed the number six nationally-ranked Johson and Wales University Wildcats, but were ultimately defeated in four sets. However, the score does not actually represent how challenged the Wildcats were during the last two sets. The Judges lost the first two sets by scores of 25–11 and 25–18. However, since the moment play started in the third set we saw a different Judges’ team on the court and they won the third set, with a score of 25–20. During the fourth set the Judges continued to crush the Bulldogs, but unfortunately after holding a 19–15 lead, the Bulldogs went on a 10–2 run and ultimately won the last set 25–21. Scott led the offense with 14 kills and 12 digs, both representing double-double career highs. In addition, right hitter/setter Bogart had double-double career highs with 14 digs and 35 assists. Again, Oppenheimer had a great game with six kills, nine digs and a match-high six service aces.

For the second match on Sept. 7, the Judges faced the Connecticut College Camels. Following a great performance against the Wildcats, the Judges got off to a hot start against the Camels and took the series opener with a score of 25–13. However, the Judges then lost all three of the next sets by scores of 25–23, 26–24 and 26–24. In the third set, the Judges did rally to take a 24–23 lead, but the Camels, after a perfectly timed time-out, stopped the Judges’ momentum and then came back, taking the last three points to give the Judges the loss. The Judges had three attackers in double digits in kills with outside hitter, Emma Bartlet ’20 leading the group with 14 kills and 13 digs for her second double-double of the season. Bartlet was also on fire, contributing to four service aces and four blocks three of which were solos. Scott contributed with 13 kills and a match and career high 20 digs and Bogart had 39 assists which was a season high. The Judges’ overall season record fell to 1–5 after losses to the Bulldogs, Wildcats and the Camels.

The Judges return to action on Friday, Sept. 13 where they will be back at home in the Gosman Athletic Complex for their home opener against the Bates College Bobcats at 7 p.m.