A new musical entitled “We Live in Cairo” will open at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge on May 22, according to the theater’s website. Per the National Alliance for Musical Theater, the show features dramaturgy by Brandeis Assistant Professor Ryan McKittrick (THA). The production began preview performances on May 14 and will run through June 23.

According to the theater’s website, “We Live in Cairo” was “inspired by the young Egyptians who took to the streets in 2011 to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak” and “follows six revolutionary students armed with laptops and cameras, guitars and spray cans as they come of age in contemporary Cairo.”

McKittrick has worked as the director of Artistic Programs/Dramaturg for ART for seven years, according to his LinkedIn page. For the past six years, he has also been an assistant professor of Theater Arts for Brandeis.

“We Live in Cairo” was written by brothers Patrick and Daniel Lazour, according to NAMT. “We’re most excited to remind people of one of the greatest revolutions in modern history — one sparked by young people who had a deep love for their country and quite literally put their lives on the line for dignity, respect and freedom,” they said in an article on the NAMT website.

The Lazours have said that the team at ART, consisting of Diane Paulus, Diane Borger, Mark Lunsford and Ryan McKittrick “have respected our hopes and desires and then some. They have been by our side in finding the voice for the show and have connected us with some of the great Egyptian thinkers and artists of our time.”

Tickets for “We Live in Cairo” are on sale now online at americanrepertorytheater.org or by phone. Student rush tickets are available for $15.