Massachusetts Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley will be speaking at the Walk for Change on Saturday, April 28 at 9:30 a.m. in a showing of support for survivors of sexual assault, harassment and abuse. The Walk for Change is an annual event run by the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and is commencing with a kick-off rally followed by a 2.8-mile loop at 10 a.m. at the Constitution Beach in East Boston. 

According to to the Walk for Change website, the goal of the walk is “raising awareness of sexual violence and showing visible community support for survivors.” It is the largest gathering in New England with this goal, the website said.

In addition to the walk, the event will include other activities such as sign making, yoga and food trucks. According to the Walk for Change’s schedule of events, the Clothesline Project will be showing “t-shirts featuring personal stories of sexual violence.” The website included a content warning for the exhibit.

According to Kaitlyn Cooney, a representative for BARCC, through a press release sent to the Justice, this will be Walk for Change’s 13th anniversary, and the fundraising goal is set at $250,000. Cooney also mentioned that, “BARCC is the only comprehensive rape crisis center in the Greater Boston area and the oldest and largest center of its kind in New England.”

After the walk, there will be games including badminton and beach volleyball, as well as live musical performances and continued food service. The event will conclude at 2 p.m.

Last year there were approximately 1,900 participants who collectively raised $235,000 for BARCC services, according to the Walk for Change website.

The money raised for BARCC goes toward funding free hotlines, medical and legal advocacy and support groups for survivors of sexual violence ages 12 and up, according to the BARCC website.