Brandeis Climate Justice called for the University to divest by circulating a script among the community and prospective students on Admitted Students Day, April 14. The script, to be used when for calling or emailing University President Liebowitz and the Board of Trustees, thanks the Board of Trustees for agreeing to “not invest in coal and to freeze other existing fossil fuel investments for the next three years,” but says it is “not enough.” 

It calls for immediate divestment from direct fossil fuel holdings, and within the next three years, divestment from indirect holdings. It also calls on the Board of Trustees to submit a written statement prohibiting future investment in fossil fuels and for the University to create a committee by fall 2019 that would “investigate, pursue and achieve investment in socially responsible funds by 2020.” 

BCJ also dropped a banner on Squire Bridge to encourage participation and to “remind incoming students that they have a voice on this campus,” BCJ member Claudia Davis ’19 told the Justice in an April 15 email. “We find it irresponsible [that] an institution such as Brandeis … continues to profit from a destructive industry that threatens that … future,” Davis added.